11

At that moment all I felt was anger but now tears streamed down my eyes realizing what I had done.

I called Carter stupid and dumb. I insulted him. How could I do that? I'm such a bad person.

I started sobbing now, hating that Kaden and Lincoln probably heard. Would they even care? Would Carter talk to me again?

There was a knock on my door and I wiped my eyes. "Come in." My voice was so broken anyone would notice I've been crying.

To my relief, Lincoln came in. He didn't look angry. He was smiling at me sadly. "Hey, Abi." He hesitantly took a few steps towards me and asked me if he could sit on my bed. I nodded.

"Hey, princess are you okay?"

Tears welled up again in my eyes. He was asking me if I was okay? He wasn't mad?

"Hey, hey. Don't cry please. I'm not mad at you." He opened his arms and waited for me. I quickly jumped into his arms and he wrapped them around me , kissing the top of my head. "Princess, don't cry again please. It breaks my heart."

"Why?" I croaked out. Lincoln stopped and looked down at me. "What do you mean why Princess, I love you."

My eyes widened at his words. He loves me?

"How?" I ask and he chuckles. "You're a sweet girl Abigail and kind. How can anyone not love you, plus you saved me and brought hope in my life, and during these 4 months I've been the happiest ever."

I frown. Was he lying to make me feel better. "I'm not lying." He kissed my forehead.

I pulled away and smiled at him. I was glad he was in my life.

"Do you want to talk about what happened down there?"

I started to shake my head but stopped. Maybe I should. I wanted to talk to someone about what happened to me and how I was being treated before. I wanted to rent my anger and who was the better choice for that other than the man who decided to keep me as his own.

"My step mother, Nora used to force me to do Jake's homework every single day and if I ever stopped for just a second he'd hit me and steal my food and haunt me that my dad loved him more than me and then he was laughing at me when I'd get scolded at school because I was so tired I couldn't do my homework but he'd always get As because of me."

Lincoln listened to me carefully, I didn't understand why he hid his hands from me but I continued anyways, "When Kaden asked me to help Carter with his homework I panicked. I thought- I - I was kind of back in my old house where I was forced to do Jake's homework and I j-just didn't want to be forced to do anything ever again, I - I'm so s-sorry." I cried and Lincoln rubbed my back gently.

"It's okay." He whispered as I started sobbing. "No it's not. Carter will be mad at me. I insulted him." I didn't want him to be mad at me. I wanted us to be friends again.

"He will understand when you explain. I will if you want."

I shook my head. Lincoln kept me in his arms for a while until the door opened and Carter walked in, he seemed surprised to see our position but didn't say anything and was about to turn around when I called him.

He looked at me with hurt in his expression and I hated myself.

"Lincoln can I talk to him alone?" He nodded and left.

Carter stared at me but didn't say anything. "Hey." I stood up and stopped across from him.

"I'm sorry." I couldn't look at him so I dropped my gaze on my shoes. "I'm so sorry Carter. I didn't mean what I said, I was just scared and angry because what Kaden said reminded me of something I don't want to remember and I took it out on you but I didn't mean it. Not a single word. You're not dumb, you're actually like one of the smartest people I know and I swear, I'll never say anything like that to you again, just please don't hate me."

I looked up at him and pleaded with him with my eyes to not hate me.

Carter thought for a moment before smiling at me. "It's okay I forgive you."

I've never been more relieved in my life. I didn't even think before throwing myself at him. He wrapped his arms around me, chuckling. "Someone likes me too much."

"Nope. I don't." I lied as I pulled away smiling at him.

"I'm pretty sure I'm going to be your best friend some day."

"Not possible. All you can be is my acquaintance, no nothing else."

Carter smirked. "We'll see."

"Yes we will." I tried to smirk but didn't manage and Carter laughed at me. That's it. He's not going to be my best friend ever. Just an acquaintance, how dare he make fun of me?

4 years later

Carter Kingston is my best friend and I can't wait for him to arrive.