6

Kaden sighed as he walked into his house. The pictures of the happy family hanging on the wall haunting him now that his wife had died.

He stopped and looked at one of the photos where he was holding Carter, his son, in his arms while his wife, Angela, was kissing his cheek. He missed her terribly even though he lost her 6 months ago. He missed the old Carter too. Carter was always quiet and observant but he was talkative around his parents, he'd ramble about his day without any care. But after his mom died Carter hasn't said a word. Not even to his father.

He was worried but he didn't know what to do. He wanted to beg his son to say something, break down in front of him because he didn't want to lose him alongside his wife but he didn't want to emotionally manipulate him or something. He knew Carter would talk again. He just had to wait.

"Is he okay?" He asked his butler who nodded. "He hasn't left his room Sir."

Kaden walked up the stairs and knocked on the door. After several seconds the door opened and Kaden smiled looking at his son. "Hey, kiddo." He raffled his hair and Carter backed away as a response. He hated when his father would mess up his hair.

"Are you hungry?" Carter shook his head at his father's question. He then raised an eyebrow in his direction and Kaden already knew what he wanted to know.

"I was out to meet your uncle Lincoln." Kaden sat at the corner of the bed as he explained everything except for Lincoln killing the two guys. He didn't even know why his brother had the gun in the first place.

Carter listened to his father carefully, his interest peaking even more when his father told him about the girl. He had said that she lost her mother.

Carter couldn't help but feel like he could relate to her. He loved his mother more than anything and 6 months ago she was taken from him. He knew his father was also suffering but losing a wife and losing a mother was different. He wondered if the girl would understand his pain.

He tapped his father's shoulder but didn't speak. Kaden looked down at him with raised eyebrows. He didn't understand what he wanted. "What do you want Carter?"

Carter gestured towards the door with his head. "You want me to leave?" Kaden's voice was laced with hurt and Carter wanted to strangle himself. He shook his head immediately.

He had to speak. He wanted to but at the same time he didn't. He knew if he spoke his father would ask him how he felt, how he was dealing with his mother's death and he just couldn't deal with that. Not yet. He loved the peace that he got from not talking. No one would ask him anything. He was by himself and he only loved when his father would come and talk about his day just like he did now.

"Carter?" Kaden asked as he rubbed the boy's back gently.

Carter sighed and took his phone from his pocket then he searched his uncle's contact and showed it to Kaden.

"You want to see Lincoln?" Kaden asked surprised. Carter hasn't spent much time with his uncle so he didn't understand why he'd want to start now.

Carter nodded.

Kaden frowned.

Carter raised an eyebrow.

"Why?" Kaden asked.

Carter rolled his eyes and made a duh face. Something clicked just then and Kaden realized why Carter wanted to see uncle Lincoln. He wanted to see the girl.

"I don't think that's a great idea for now son. She's been through something tough and I think it's best if she settles in first and gets comfortable before we visit them." He kissed Carter's head and walked out knowing he'd not say anything anyway.