5

Abigail was scared. She woke up because of a nightmare and now she was overthinking. She was afraid that her family would take her back. She didn't want to go back, she'd do anything to stay out of her house.

She didn't know what to do. Her room was dark and there was little light coming inside from the window. She wanted to get up and ask for water but she stopped herself. She didn't have permission for that. And she didn't want to get hurt.

Lincoln didn't understand why his heart had started beating so fast out of nowhere. He woke up half an hour ago and was making breakfast for himself and Abi when suddenly he felt strange. He immediately walked to her room and saw that she was awake.

"Abi?" He called her as he turned the light on.

She laid without moving. "Are you okay?" How long has she been awake? Lincoln thought. If he knew she was awake he wouldn't have left her alone.

"Abigail?" He walked closer to her bed and saw that she was crying silently. "Abi are you okay? Please tell me if it hurts somewhere, the doctor will come today okay to check on you." He hurriedly said as he was nervous.

Abigail shook her head. She wiped her tears with her hands, "I'm sorry." She whispered, Nora would punch her if she saw her crying. She said that the girl was purposely crying to make her feel guilty.

"For what?" Lincoln asked confused as he sat on the bed, he badly wanted to stroke her hair but didn't want to push her boundaries.

"For crying. It won't happen again."

Lincoln felt his body flame in anger as he listened to the girl, he couldn't imagine what she's been through. "Abi listen to me okay?" He asked with a soft tone.

She nodded.

"No one is going to hurt you from now on. I promised you and I don't take my promises lightly. You can also cry whenever you feel like it because it's natural and sometimes it helps us feel better."

Abigail didn't understand what this man was doing. She knew he was being nice, too nice but why? She didn't want to worry anymore though, she was tired and she was sure there was something wrong with her mentally after everything she's been through so now she just wanted to be loved. And maybe this guy would love her.

"What's your name?" Abi asked.

Lincoln sighed in relief that the girl believed him. "Lincoln."

"That's a pretty name. I've never heard that before."

Lincoln chuckled and got up. "You can get up if you don't want to sleep anymore, I'm making breakfast."

Abigail frowned. Nora would always wake her up and force her to make breakfast with her. She always hated it but there was nothing she could do about it.

"Thank you." She said to Lincoln because she was really glad he didn't wake her up.

Lincoln smiled at her. "Do you want me to get you when I make it or are you coming now?"

"I'll rest for a while if it's alright." She mumbled.

"Okay, I'll call you when the breakfast is ready, get rest and don't worry about anything."

Abigail tried not worrying but her mind always found something to obsess over. What if her family found her and took her away? She didn't want that. What if Lincoln started abusing her too when he'd learn how her family treated her. Maybe he's just being friendly because I'm a guest and he'd going to take me back to my father. Abigail thought and thought until the door opened.

"Breakfast's ready." Lincoln told her gently. Abigail got up and followed him to dining room.