8

Abigail

"You ready?" Lincoln asks as he parks the car and looks over to me. I nod my head. Lincoln brought me to meet his family. His brother and nephew. He said his parents are dead. I feel bad for him. I know what it's like to lose a mom, even if he's old now.

Lincoln smiles at me and opens the door, I open mine and he playfully glares at me. "I could have done that."

"I have hands for a reason." I replied with a smile. It seems impossible to me that after a month I'm already so comfortable with Lincoln. But his presence and energy is so welcoming. He's nice and he's never yelled at me. I trust him, he saved me after all.

We walk towards the big mansion and my eyes widen. "Is your brother rich?"

"Something like that." Lincoln answered and I frowned. Lincoln was living in a two bedroom apartment while his brother lived like this?

Maybe this was a bad idea. Maybe his brother is mean or a bully like Jake.

Lincoln knocked on the door and it immediately opened, revealing a middle aged man smiling at us. "Welcome Mr. Kingston, your brother's waiting inside."

His eyes then darted to me, "Please come inside." He stepped aside so we could go in. Lincoln urged me to go first and I did.

The man closed the door and stayed there. Lincoln walked away and I followed him, if he knew where he was going that means he's been here before.

We walked into a room that looked like a living room, I couldn't help but look at the pictures on the wall. A picture of a family. Probably mom, dad and a son. I smiled sadly. I wish I had a loving father who never left me and my mother.

I wish I had grown up like this.

"Lincoln." My eyes snap towards the source of the sound and I see a man with the same hair color as Lincoln looking at us. They had the same eye color too.

This must be his brother. His eyes darted to me as Lincoln spoke, "Kaden."

"And you must be Abigail." Kaden smiled at me. "Yes, hello." I didn't know what else to say, suddenly I felt uncomfortable.

He smiled and looked at Lincoln. "Are you hungry?" Lincoln nodded his head despite the fact that we just ate on the way here.

He texted someone on the phone and suddenly two maids came in. Kaden told them to start making dinner and to bring us snacks before that. They nodded and left.

I looked up at Lincoln, not knowing what to do. Lincoln urged me to go and sit on the sofa but there was a boy sitting there. He seemed to be the same age as my step-brother and I was scared that he'd treat me the same way.

However, when I sat next to him, he turned to me with a soft look in his eyes and held out his hand. I looked at him confused until my eyes darted to his hand. I smiled. He was offering me candy. I took it without hesitation and thanked him. I felt the sofa move and tilted my head to see the boy was gone. I frowned but not for long as he returned, holding a teddy bear.

"Take this." He told me and I noticed everyone was surprised at his actions. Lincoln and Kaden were looking at him with disbelief but his father also had a small smile plastered on his face.

"No, that's okay." I tell him as I start to unwrap the candy he just gave me. "Take it." He repeats again.

I frown. Why is he so adamant to give me the damn toy? I never had a toy, I don't want it now.

I shook my head. And he frowned. He turned towards his father who had an amusing look on his face. "Carter?" He asked.

Carter just shrugged and started playing some game on his phone, not paying attention to me anymore.

When I looked up I found that both Lincoln and Kaden were looking at Carter strangely. What was so unusual?

Kaden

I can't believe my boy just talked. For the first time after his mother died. He talked. It was only two words but that means...I sigh in relief, I missed hearing his voice.