Chapter 1

Days Go Dark

They left that night, my parents, they left to a party at 6 o'clock. They were supposed to come home at 8, but they didn't. Caleb and I waited, thinking they'd be home any second, but they weren't. They gave a promise to be home for dinner with us, but they broke it.

We didn't know, we stayed up till 1:30 am. We didn't know, they had too many drinks. We didn't know, they got in that car
And we didn't know, what had happened till the cop showed up before school the next day.

There were no words to say to the man, there were no words to say to anyone and there were no words anyone could say to us, but they tried.

My name is Kylie James and my dark days began when my parent's lies came out. They were alcoholics, one drink would lead to ten more. They were drug addicts as well. They told us to stay away from the stuff when every night they were hiding in some party and taking it.

We were taught that people who did that to themselves were crying out, hiding from the pain of the past and the deaths of loved ones. We hadn't known that that was them, the ones they were talking about.

Caleb and I were sent to our aunt's house with her husband, because unfortunately we were miniors still. We had to move from Seattle to a small town in Texas. Aunt Vicie was a women who smelled as vial as a skunk, and looked like one. Her hair was black with grey hairs at the roots making a white strip down her short hair and bangs that covered her judgmental eyes. Uncle John was a beer bellied drunk who had a bad temper. The new school was bearable, people wanted me to sit with them, but they were different from me and I was afraid they wouldn't like me.

On my second night, Aunt Vicie was talking to see uncle John as if we didn't exist.

"I don't see why they kill themselves and we get stuck with their brats." She took a bite of pork and continued to talk. "I've been telling you John, one day Jessica's thrill life will get the best of her and looked what happened!" She pointed at Caleb and I who were looking from Vicie to John and back again. "We have to pay and watch their children!" She laughed, it was twisted and evil sort of laugh that came up from the bottom of her cold heart. "And we're supposed to be sorry for them? They finally got away from that train wreck."

I slammed my hand down on the table, I had heard enough. "Alright, I have a question. Are we invisible to you?"

Her eyes widened then narrowed to tiny slits. "Who do you think you're talking to?" It was John that had said it and I looked at him.

"A disresp-" I was cut off because John had back handed me across my face, full force knocking me out of my chair and slamming my head on the ground. Caleb did nothing, I don't blame him for there was nothing to do.

My head rang like a bell with pain. I looked at the floor and saw my own blood on the hard wood. I looked at John in horror. He smirked at the job he had done and so did his wife. Caleb stilled his eyes looked with mine and he gave me my napkin from the table.

I got up, calmly, the pain surging through my entire body. As soon as I was on my feet I was bolting out of the house and down the street. I had no idea where exactly I was going but I knew I had to get away from the voices screaming for me to come back.

I ended up at a music store that was still open sense it was only 6 o'clock. I open the door, my heart was still racing and my chest hurt from the running. I went straight for the bathroom that was in the back and looked at myself in the mirror. There was a cut on my cheek and a bruise on my forehead. I started to wash my face when there was a knock on the door.

"Hey I saw you come in there." There was a mans voice and it paused. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." My voice broke from the tears that were running down my face, I hadn't realized I was crying till that moment.

"Uh-huh" he said on the other side of the door. "And what happened to your cheek?"

I blanked for a second and then came up with a lie. "I broke my skateboard and fell."

"Can you come out here? I have a first aid kit, we can fix you right up." The man said. And I opened the door to find it wasn't a man, but a boy who looked around my age. He held his hand out. "I'm Dustin." He smiled and I shook his hand.

"Kylie." I nodded