Chapter 3

Running

I woke up early that morning, the sun wasn't even out yet and when I checked the time on my phone, 5:13am. I got up and walked to my closet, pulling out a my back pack and rolling up a tank top, jeans and placing them inside the school bag. Changing from my pajamas into track shorts and a T-shirt, I slung the bag over my shoulders and clbed out the window. I walked 3 yards and then jumped the metal fence and walked to the sidewalk.

I started jogging the mile to the music shop, the 5 miles to Dustin's house and round his block a couple times, and then the 5 miles back to the music shop. I went inside to the bathroom and washed my face from the make up from yesterday and the sweat from the run.

I redid my make up, keeping it simply, edgy and covering up the bruise on my forehead. For extra flare I added blood red lipstick. I changed into the tank top and jeans I had packed checking myself in the mirror one more time before walking out. As I walked out the door I put a black beanie on and checked time, 8:22am. I started the 7 mile walk to the school. As I walked I was thinking about my life in Seattle, being a DJ, a track runner and goalie for my school. I would run rain or shine for 6 hours a day, 3 in the morning and 3 after school. the walk was quiet and peaceful, just like the run. running was a freedom, an outlet, for me. I ran from my problems, my thoughts, and my stress. to clear the fog that was my thoughts. 

It was 9:25am when I arrived at the school. The front of the school was filled with students, there social groups clear because they were in little circles that were like their own little bubble each with a different world. I sat down in the shade of a tree, watching how the kids acted, dressed, and socialized with each other. I was picking out the different groups and the different years, when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

I looked up to find Dustin looking down at me and gestured to the ground, asking if he could sit with me. I nodded and he sat down close to me, leaning against the tree, our hips almost touching. "Good morning." he smiled at me. His short black hair covered his eyes a little, his eyes were dark brown with little green specks of highlights through them like they surged with electricity, and his lips, his lips were reddish from obvious lip biting.

"Morning." I smiled back at him, unintentionally leaning in slightly.

"Did you enjoy your run round my house?" He whispered amused.

"What?" I said taken back.

"I woke up this morning and looked out my window and you were jogging outside, I saw you jogging past again 5 minutes later and again 5 minutes later and you seemed to go around 20 times." he brushed a piece of my hair behind my ear. "So I'm asking did you enjoy your run?"

I put my head in my hands, hiding my face. "Yeah sorry about that, it's just back in Seattle I used to run from 4 am till 7. I was on the track team and my dad was a strong believer in keeping up a healthy life style, or at least I thought he was." my voice cracked slightly when I said 'was'. "And I don't really know this town, all I know is how to get to the music shop and from there to your house. it was the farest I dare go before school." he rubbed my back a little.

"May I ask a question?" he whispered and I lifted my head to look at him in the eyes, and then nodded. "Why did you say your dad 'was a strong believer in keeping a healthy life style'? What happened to your dad?"

"You said 'a question' not two." I whispered back. and he nodded thinking about this for a moment.

"Alright can I ask you some questions?" he corrected himself.

"My dad and mom died in a car accident." I mumbled, hoping he wouldn't hear me, but he did.

"I'm sorry." he brushed my hair behind my ear again and looked into my eyes, before awkwardly turning away.