Chapter 12

Trains

Lucky for me Dustin understood I needed some alone time at the tree. I sat down and put Dustin's hoodie's hood up to hide my face as I sat alone in the shadows with my face in my hands. My mind took me back to when I 7 years old, the first time I met uncle Ike.

*flashback*

"Kylie this is my brother, and your uncle, Ikeric James." My dad had said to me he was in black jeans, hoodie and shirt with work boots on and Ike was standing behind him in the same outfit.

"Call me uncle Ike or just Ike." Ike nodded. "I'm sorry to tell you, but I'm going to be stealing your dad for a few days so your father and I decided to drop you off at your grandparents house."

"Why is that a bad thing and you're sorry for it?" I laughed a little and brushed my fringed bangs out of my eyes the rest if my hair was in a ponytail.

"Because, Kylie, your grandparents are insane." Ike kneeled down to be eye level with me. "Don't believe anything they say, okay?"

"Okay." I smiled.

*flashback over*

I remembered he was correct, grandma and grandpa said that before humans there were dragons and unicorns that roamed the earth. I remembered never to believe what they had said until they ended up disappearing, no one seems to know where they went and my dad had just brushed it off as if it was nothing.

Ike was also there when my dad first took us out to the tracks.

*flashback*

"Alright Kylie." My dad said. It was February, snow was everywhere and the air was freezing. My dad had gotten me a bullet proof vest for Christmas and it also came with a small hand gun, he spent all of January teach me how to use it and today he had me on the train tracks. I was standing right in between a spilt in the tracks. "The train will pass by in 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Are you ready?" I nodded.

"Do you remember what to do?" Ike asked.

"Stand here and face my fear." I smiled at them, I heard the train coming and I turned towards it. The train raced past me and just nearly brushed my chest as I watched it speed past me, my heart pounding.

*flashback over*

Ike stopped coming by after that visit, and I still don't know why. I was the one trained by my dad from Ike's first visit till his last and Caleb was trained by Ike. Caleb knew more cause of Ike, why was my dad hiding things from me? Was it because I had fears? Was it because I was weak? Was it to protect me?