Chapter 5

Music Interview

After we came back from DJ place we went to his work. While he worked I looked at their music supply. His boss came out of the back when I was looking at a Fall Out Boy album.

"So I take it this is Kylie James." He said and I looked up. No one else was in the store but Dustin, his boss and I.

"Yes," I walked over to him and stuck my hand out for him to shake. "I'm Kylie." I smiled as he shook my hand.

"Darren." He nodded. "So I've read your application, everything is perfect. I'd just like to know why did you leave your old job?"

"Family issues." I said not wanting to tell him.

"Ah. That would explain why you didn't give a 2 week notice to them." He nodded. "Alright so what hours would work for you? 5-9, 9-2, 2-4:30, 4:30-8?"

"Could I take two?" I asked hoping to be able to get out of the house longer.

"Well, uh. That's never really been asked, uh, sure?" He wasn't really sure, but I had to take the opportunity.

"May I work 5-9 and 4:30-8?" I asked, that way I wouldn't have to go home. "Also may I work weekends?"

"Legally you need one day off, but seeing as you don't want the day off, sure what times do you want?"

"9-4:30. If that's okay with you?" I asked.

"Alright." He went behind the counter and brought out a bag, a marker and a name tag with no name. "Your uniforms and name tag, please write your name on all of them. When your done I'll show you where your employee locker is." The bag was filled with 30 different band shirts.

I nodded and grabbed the bag, already working on writing my name on everything, when I got a text message. Where are you? -CJ it read. CJ was Caleb's signature when he texted.

I'm at the music store, don't go home. Walk down the street until you see Daycore Music. -KJ I sent and got back to writing.

Okay I'm walking now -CJ I smiled at the text message. By the time I finished I heard a bell and looked up. Caleb stood at the door, his eyes searched for me. I stood up, he looked at me with a smile.

"What are you doing here?" He whispered into my ear when he walked over and hugged me.

"I got a job, I think you should get something to stay out of that house." I whispered back.

"Why are you hanging with Dustin?" He asked. Caleb always a hugger and he found it the best time to ask questions.

"He's a nice guy, I really like him." I whispered.

"Don't let this be like what happened with Jeremy, OK?"

"I won't, and if I recall none of that was my fault. His team was jealous that he had me." I whispered, rolling my eyes. "What's up with you and that girl, Emily?"

"She started it. She flirted with me first. I don't really like her. Her friend is more my style."

"You need to not talk about girls like there clothes."

"No I mean she has a personality that is amazing. She likes the same bands as me, she does art and is amazing at it, and she writes books. She's smart and beautiful. She hides her smarts when she's around her popular friends, but I sat next to her in art and we talked. When we talked, there was no awkward silences!" He pulled back from the hug, his eyes were alive and his smile was one I haven't seen in a while.

"You love her!" I whispered, a huge smile cracked across my face. He blushed and tried to tell me it was true no matter what he said.

"No." He lied.

"Lier." I said. "You if all people should know I can tell if you lie."

"Oh yeah." He nodded. "I still think it's weird."

"How is it weird? Dad was a cop. He taught me to tell when someone lies. Also you tell sign is you blush before you lie." I shrugged.

"Kylie I have a few questions." Darren came out from the back room.

"I'll be right there." I smiled. I turned to Caleb and pointed to a seat. "Sit, I'll be back."

I walked to the back room and Darren showed me to the locker room. He stopped in front of locker 10. Darren turned the combination on the lock and then opened it. "Here's your locker. The combo is written on the inside and on this paper." He handed me a paper it said the combo, my weekly pay, my hours and info about the job.

"$600 a week?" I asked shocked.

"Yup." He said. "You start next Sunday." He walked away and I went out to grab the shirts and brought them back, folding them and stacking them into the locker. I closed it and walked out of the room.