Chapter 2

Safe and sound, if only

Dustin had fixed up my face with a knee band aid and an ice pack, we sat there talking until his shift ended. We talked about skateboarding, music and art. He offered to walk me home but I declined and walked him home instead.

He told me that there was an opening in employment at the music shop, and he was more than likely could get me in it. He told me because I told him I was new there and was looking for a job. He also told me that there was a place down the road from the music store that was looking for DJs. Another thing I told him was my old job when I was in Settle was a DJ.

We ended up at his house and he gave me his phone number. And he walked backwards throigh his lawn and reluctantly turned around and into the house. I walked back to the music shop and sat outside for another two hours. My head was in my hands as I prepared myself mentally and physically for going back.

When I finally stood up, I checked the time. 11:23pm. Hoping they were asleep I ran home, the same way I came. When I got to the tiny house the lights were off, so I climbed through my brother's window rather than walking are the building. He was awake listening to music in bed. He looked surprised to see me even come back, and he immediately took the headphones off.

"Kylie, are you okay?" He whispered to me. Wrapping his scrony arms around me pulling me into his bony chest.

"Yeah I'm fine." I whispered back and we stayed like that, wrapped in each other's arms silent.

"I was so worried." He broke the silence. "Where have you been?"

"You may not believe this but I think I may have a job opportunity." And then I proceeded to explain my night with Dustin.

Caleb ran his thumb over the bandage on my cheek bone. I winced a little and Caleb immediately apologized. He told me I should go to my room before we get caught and I slipped out of his door took three steps and slipped through my door with out a sound.

I spent that night lying in bed thinking about Dustin until I fell asleep.