Chapter 12: Tempest's Festival and Ultima's Horror Attraction

It was a festive time in Tempest, and the entire city was buzzing with excitement. Preparations for the grand festival were in full swing, with colorful banners draped across the streets and food stalls lining the main pathways. Children ran around laughing, while the adults chatted eagerly, looking forward to all the festivities.

Rimuru walked through the town, watching the progress unfold. Benimaru, Shuna, and the other subordinates were organizing different parts of the festival. Rimuru couldn't wait to see what each of them had prepared.

"Everything's going great," Rimuru said, smiling in satisfaction. "This festival is going to be a hit."

As he admired his team's hard work, Ultima approached him with her usual mischievous energy.

"Lord Rimuru! I've got an idea for an attraction at the festival!" Ultima said excitedly, her eyes gleaming.

Rimuru, not suspecting anything, gave her an approving nod. "Sure, go ahead! I trust your creativity. What kind of attraction are you thinking about?"

Ultima's grin widened, and she looked almost too excited. "It's going to be a horror attraction! You know, something really thrilling, something that'll give people chills!"

Rimuru chuckled, not realizing what he was getting into. "That sounds fun! Go for it. Just make sure it's not too scary for the kids."

Ultima gave him a playful salute. "Leave it to me, Lord Rimuru! I'll make it unforgettable!"

A few days passed, and the festival was in full swing. Rimuru walked around the event, pleased with the turnout. Stalls sold various delicious foods, games entertained the visitors, and everyone seemed to be having a great time.

That was, until Rimuru started receiving complaints.

"Lord Rimuru!" came the first concerned voice, a local merchant with a nervous expression. "There's an attraction that's... disturbing. I think you should check it out."

Rimuru blinked, a bit confused. "Disturbing? What do you mean?"

"It's... well, it's Ultima's attraction. It's not exactly kid-friendly," the merchant stammered.

Rimuru's eyes narrowed. "Ultima's attraction? I thought it was a simple horror attraction."

But as more complaints began flooding in from other attendees, all pointing toward the same attraction, Rimuru knew he had to check it out.

Arriving at Ultima's attraction, Rimuru was immediately taken aback. The atmosphere was heavy, and the entrance was draped in dark curtains, ominous sounds echoing from within. A crowd stood outside, some looking visibly shaken, others whispering nervously about what they had seen.

"What... did she do?" Rimuru muttered under his breath as he stepped inside.

The first thing he noticed was the grisly décor. The walls were lined with eerie, grotesque displays, but what truly horrified him were the exhibits—lifelike figures of tortured individuals, all arranged in disturbing poses. And these weren't just mannequins. Rimuru's senses picked up faint traces of magicules. These were real people—enemies and prisoners Ultima had tortured in the past, somehow preserved in a twisted, macabre form.

"What the hell is this?!" Rimuru gasped, his anger rising.

Ultima appeared beside him, beaming with pride. "Isn't it amazing, Lord Rimuru? I used some of the people I interrogated! I thought it would make the horror more... realistic."

Rimuru turned to her, disbelief and fury flashing in his eyes. "Realistic?! Ultima, this is beyond inappropriate! There are families, children here! How could you think this was okay?"

Ultima blinked, her smile faltering slightly. "But... it's a horror attraction, isn't it? I thought people would love how real it felt. I put a lot of effort into recreating the moments of their suffering, capturing every scream and tear."

Rimuru clenched his fists, trying to keep his temper in check. "This isn't entertainment, Ultima! This is torture—literal torture! You can't just display this kind of thing at a festival! People are horrified for all the wrong reasons!"

Ultima's expression fell, her usual confidence replaced by confusion and a hint of guilt. "But... it's what I do. I'm good at this, Lord Rimuru. I just wanted to make something memorable for the festival."

Rimuru took a deep breath, running a hand through his hair as he tried to calm himself down. "Ultima, I appreciate your effort, but this... this crossed a line. You can't just treat torture like some kind of spectacle. There's a time and place for everything, and this is not it."

Ultima looked down, clearly upset by Rimuru's reaction. "I didn't mean to make you angry, Lord Rimuru. I thought... I thought you'd be impressed."

"I'm not angry because I'm not impressed. I'm angry because you didn't think about how this would affect everyone else," Rimuru said, his tone softening a little as he saw Ultima's genuine confusion. "We'll need to take this attraction down immediately. This isn't what the festival is about."

Ultima nodded, her shoulders slumping. "I understand. I'll take care of it right away."

As the attraction was swiftly dismantled, Rimuru sighed, feeling the weight of the situation. He had always known Ultima had a dark side—she was a demon, after all—but he hadn't expected her to show it like this, so openly.

Later that night, Rimuru found Ultima sitting alone, looking dejected.

"Ultima," he called out gently.

She looked up at him, her expression uncertain. "Lord Rimuru... I'm sorry."

Rimuru sat beside her. "I know you meant well, in your own way. You're used to doing things a certain way, but you need to understand that Tempest isn't like the Inferno. Here, we try to create something different. A place where people feel safe and happy."

Ultima nodded slowly. "I think... I still have a lot to learn about what it means to live here, with all of you. I'll try harder."

Rimuru smiled and patted her on the shoulder. "That's all I ask. And remember, you're part of Tempest now. We're all in this together."

With that, the festival continued, but Rimuru made sure to keep a closer eye on Ultima's future plans. She had potential, but she still had a long way to go in understanding the delicate balance between her nature and her new life in Tempest.

"I'll get it right next time," Ultima said to herself, determined to learn from her mistake, even if her idea of "fun" still needed a bit of adjustment.