Chapter 9

Orm stepped out of the uber, sunglasses on, bag slung over her shoulder as she made her way to the hotel entrance. She needed to focus on the case, needed to keep her head clear—but with Lingling around, that was going to be close to impossible.

Focus on the case and the plan, Orm, she told herself as she walked toward the check-in desk. She gave her name and waited as the receptionist typed in her details.

As if on cue, she heard that familiar voice behind her.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Ms. Kornnaphat herself," Lingling's voice drawled, thick with that same teasing edge Orm had grown to both dread and—damn it—find irresistible.

Orm didn't turn around. She kept her eyes on the receptionist, pretending like she hadn't heard a thing. Lingling walked up beside her, casually leaning against the counter.

"Oh, come on, no 'hello' for me?" Lingling smirked, brushing a stray lock of hair from her face. "I thought we were past the cold shoulder stage."

Orm finally took her room key from the receptionist and muttered, "Hello." Her tone was dry, emotionless, and she immediately turned to leave. Lingling chuckled behind her, clearly unfazed.

"Come on, don't act like you didn't miss me," Lingling teased as she grabbed her own key card. "Same hotel, same case, perhaps later on... same bed."

Orm rolled her eyes behind her sunglasses, refusing to take the bait. She was determined to ignore her, no matter how much her body was screaming otherwise. She headed straight for the elevator, Lingling close behind. When they stepped inside, the tension between them was almost tangible, but Orm wasn't about to give in. Not this time.

As the doors closed, Lingling leaned against the wall, arms crossed. "You're not gonna make this trip boring, are you?"