Chapter 12

Orm was sprawled on her couch in her pajamas, spoon-deep in a tub of chocolate ice cream, flipping through channels like it could distract her from the storm brewing in her mind.

 "There's no way I'm going," she muttered, the spoon clanking against the tub.

 "I mean, come on, Ling is my senior. How awkward would that make things? Like, she can't just expect me to show up at her place and—"

She paused, staring blankly at the TV screen, ice cream melting. "And aren't we supposed to hate each other? What happened to that?" she asked herself, baffled. 

"We're adults. We need to act like it. She can't just say she wants me in her bed, and I'm supposed to run over like some kind of... desperate fool."

But why did her chest feel tight? Why did the thought of not going feel like missing out on something big?

---

Meanwhile, across the city, 

Lingling was already dressed—neat white shirt, perfectly tailored dress pants. She had set the dinner table hours ago, wondering if she should light a candle. 

She hesitated, then smiled to herself. "Nothing's too much for me," she muttered, grabbing the match and lighting the candle. 

It flickered softly, casting a warm glow over the plates.

It was 8 PM. 

Orm was supposed to be there any minute.

Lingling waited. Smiling to herself, positive that the girl wouldn't back out. She couldn't back out, And I know that.

By 10 PM,

 the food had gone cold, and the candle was burning low. Lingling glanced at her watch, frowning. 

"She's probably just nervous," she whispered to herself. "I know she sleeps early... maybe she's just debating it."

But by 11:30.

reality hit.

 The candle was blown out, the food was covered and shoved into the fridge. Lingling's disappointment sat heavy in her chest as she walked upstairs, brushing her teeth. She was almost certain Orm would come, but now... she felt foolish.

She sighed, running a hand through her hair, trying to shake off the frustration. "Stupid," she muttered. "I should've known she wouldn't show."

Getting ready for bed, she dressed in her usual boxers and a tank top, Lingling headed back downstairs. 

She remembered she hadn't turned off the lights in the dining room, and as she reached for the switch, the doorbell rang.

Just as she was about to turn off the lights downstairs, the doorbell rang. 

 "No way...It can't be her it's already too late" she muttered under her breath, heart skipping a beat.