Chapter 14) On Our Own

Daniel.

Damn. I have a killer headache. What happened last night? I don't really know. All I know is Sky isn't next to me and that can't be a good thing. I lean my sore body over and check the clock. 12:00 pm. Shit. I let out a long sigh. I think my body is sore from this damn floor. Did I cheat on Sky? I mean, I don't think I did. I better go downstairs and apologize. I get up and I hear absolute silence throughout the house. No Sky or Drew. I wonder where they went. I'm not going to bother her. I know when I'm drunk I can piss people off. She needs time without me. I think Aja, Lexi, Soleil, and Sky were all having a girls day today too. That gives me time to at least leave and get something for her.

I grab my keys off a nail by the door and open the door. The door makes a loud screeching sound. I lock the deadbolt of the door and continue to my car. When I open the drivers side door, I see half empty drink of beer. I fucking drove here drunk? Oh my gosh. What the hell was I thinking? I start the car and it lets out a 'rum' sound.

I browse the cards at my local 'Rite Aid' and find one suitable. It just says "I love you" but it has plenty of space for me to write something to her. I then grab a dozen of roses. I don't know if I should get Drew something. I don't remember if I woke him up. I quickly browse the toy section and see nothing remotely interesting.

"Platz! Platz!" I hear as I'm walking down the beauty aisle. I look behind me and see what must be a fan.

She was very beautiful. All the fans are really beautiful. I love being in Imagine Dragons.

"Can I get a picture" she asks with a shiny white grin.
"Of course honey!" I reply.
She takes out her blue iPhone and quickly opens the camera. I smile with my teeth showing. Wow! Unusual, huh?

"Thank you Platz. I love your music so much!" She says.
"Its no problem!" I say and give her a hug.
"Sorry if I bugged you" she says.
"Don't worry about it! You're a fan!"
She smiles and then continues browsing the makeup.
"You don't need any of that," I say.
She looks back at me and smiles. I look back one more time and I notice she walked away from the aisle with no makeup in her hand.

I love fans. She was fairly young too. Way too young to need to wear makeup. She was probably 14 or 15. I think it's unnecessary at that age. That's what I truly love about being famous. Its so much easier to assure people they are beautiful.

~~~~~~~~~

I step inside the cold house to discover Sky, still isn't here. I make myself a small meal, hoping it will make me better, and then sit on the couch.

I turn on TV and watch 'Law and Order SVU'. I love this show. Mariska Hargitay has always been someone I've wanted to meet. I wonder if she listens to our music. I take my phone out of my back pocket and open Twitter. I tweet "Mariska Hargitay is someone I really want to meet" and then close the app. I open up messaging to see a text from Dan. Everyone is coming over to my house for a BBQ. Come over if you want. We're having it all day. Well. That explains where Sky is.

I write in her card:
Sky, I'm sorry for being such a dickhead last night. I wish I knew everything I said to you but I know it was probably very disrespectful. I love you so fucking much. You know that. I wouldn't purposely say something to make you upset. you're my entire world and deserve to be treated so much better than that. I understand if you're mad at me, but just know how much I'm in love with you. I love you and Drew more than you'll ever imagine. I know I make your life so much harder than it needs to be, going on tour and stuff. Its probably really difficult on you and I apologize about that. I love you.

Xoxo,
Daniel.

I lick the envelope shut and grab the flowers and hurry to my car. I start the car and go to Dans house. I see Sky, Aja, Dan, Ben, and Wayne's car all there plus some other family members. They see my pull up and they all smile, except for Sky. She looks up at me then looks down at her shoes.

"Sorry I am kinda late to the barbeque." I say, and I pull out the roses and card and walk to Sky.

She looks up at me and just frowns.

"I'm so fucking sorry Sky."

She accepts the roses and cards and proceeds to open up the card. I watch her eyes scan every word of the card carefully, like she doesn't want the moment to end.

"Its alright Daniel." She says and hugs me.
"Thank you, I love you" I say.
"Love you too." She says.
"GET A ROOM!" A familiar voice says. I look behind me and see my brother.
"Hey!!" I say and get up.
"Bring it here buddy!" He says and gives me a hug.
My mother and father are right behind him and I give them an embrace.

If only you knew how much I missed him. I get him a chair to sit next to me and we all just talk around in a circle. So many people were here. I love Lexi's mom Karen. She's such a sweetheart. Dan's sister Sarah is also just as sweet. I feel like all our families are so sweet.

"Hey, Sky, where is your family?" My mother asks.

Oh. Dear. This isn't going to end well. Where is Sky's family? She doesn't know and hasn't thought about them. So now that she does. Oh great.