Chapter 13

Mac turned to Rich and said "Sorry man I have to go. Run back to my place with me." Rich didn't hesitate he dropped the stick and followed Mac out. Mac started running and said "I'm going to be with Adele at the hospital. She's scared and the tests aren't looking good. Cancer it seems like. I'm sure you understand me bailing on you." They reached Mac's jeep and Rich said "Just take care of my sister. Let her know I'm here for her when she's ready and I'll do anything I can to help." Mac shook his hand and took off with a "Will Do." Tossed over his shoulder.

Exactly 15 Minutes later he was walking off the elevator and onto the 3rd floor looking for the waiting room. As he walked in Adele stood up in the corner, she was fidgeting like she was nervous. He grinned, walked straight up to her and wrapped her in a hug. Adele sighed as soon as he closed her into his embrace. He whispered "Hi Beautiful."

Adele didn't expect him to be so forward but was glad he was holding her. It felt better than it should, with him being a stranger essentially. When he whispered Hi Beautiful, she slid her arms around his waist and hugged him tightly. She whispered "Hi Mac." They stood there hugging until her mom cleared her throat. Mac immediately pulled back and smiled at her mom, all the while keeping one arm around Adele. He said "Hi Ma'am. I'm Mac MacBaine. It's nice to meet you." She accepted his outstretched hand and said "It's nice to meet you too Mac. Please call me Emily. My daughter has told me how you two met." Mac grinned and said "Yes Ma'am she told me I was wrong and I couldn't resist her." Mac and Emily laughed when Adele blushed at the comment. She cleared her throat and said "Was Rich ok with you getting out of your plans?"  Mac looked down into her eyes and said "He was fine. Told me to take care of you and let you know he's there for you if you need him."

Emily sighed and said "I take it this Rich is her brother?" Mac said "Yes, he never knew about Adele. A couple months ago he called me, pretty much angry at the world. His father let it slip he had a sister. Now don't get me wrong, Rich wasn't angry he has a sister. He was mad he had no idea about Adele, and that his father could ever do the things he did. His abandonment of Adele is what he can't seem to get passed.  Rich is all about family and honor. They tend to instill that one into us. The only thing Rich was completely clear on that night and since was he wanted to find Adele."

Emily smiled and said "He sounds like a fine young man. How old is he?" Mac got a little uncomfortable and said "He turned 24 last Saturday." Adele gasped and whispered "We have the same birthday." Mac nodded and said "Exactly one year apart." Emily shook her head and said "Did he atleast stay with Rich's mom? I knew about her you know." He nodded and said "Yes, they are still together. Though I know she never knew about you and Adele. Not until recently anyway. She thought he was single."

Emily noticed how Mac was defensive of Rich's mom, she wondered why. She didn't blame the woman or her son for what happened. She smiled at Mac and said "I'm sure she didn't dear. You sound like you know them well. I hope he treats her well and I'm sure Rich is a wonderful young man. Are you close to them dear?" Mac knew he was defensive of Sara and Rich. He smiled to soften the tone he had used and said "Rich is my best friend. I've spent a lot of time with his family. Sara has always welcomed any one of the team into her home for anything they needed. Jakob is always nice enough just stand offish I guess. No one really likes him too much." Emily patted his hand and said "I'm glad Rich had a good momma and she has a heart big enough to accept you boys. It makes me a little less worried about my girl here if something happens to me."

Adele gasped and said "Momma, don't talk that way. The tests aren't back yet." Emily smiled at her daughter and said "I know honey. Could you run down the hall there and get me a sprite?" Adele said "Of Course I can. Do you want anything Mac?" He shook his head and watched her leave then turned back to Emily. He waited and she spoke up "These tests are only to confirm what they've found. My girl is strong Mac, but I'm all she has. I'll admit I have prayed for someone to come along for her. So she won't be alone when I go and before you say anything, I know I don't have much time. I think you and my girl have a connection and could be something special. I've already made my final preparations. They are in a file under my bread box."