Chapter 40

It had been a busy few days as they made plans for the wedding. Mac smiled as he looked out at the sun just breaking over the horizon. He had woke up early, made a pot of coffee, and came out to watch the sunrise. Adele was still sleeping soundly, which she needed extra sleep. Mac was worried about Adele, she was so worried about her mom that she was tossing and turning at night. Mac was worried about Emily as well, the tiredness they had been noticing was slowly getting worse, and she was pale. He had rode out with Dakota yesterday to visit Jesse. He discussed his concerns with Jesse, who promised to call and speak with Emily's doctor, before making a visit sometime today.

         He had told Adele about his conversation with Jesse, which seemed to relax her some. She slept better last night knowing a doctor would be seeing her mom the next day. He was sure Emily wouldn't be happy with him, but he needed to know if there was more they needed to be doing for her. He had been talking to both his dad and brother nearly daily, he really wished he wouldn't have cut contact with his brother over guilt. He enjoyed talking to his brother and they were slowly gaining the closeness that they had always had back. His conversations with his dad weren't quite as awkward anymore, and he was glad they were all coming in just 2 more days.

          He had texted his CO last night to let him know he had made a decision about his career and that he would not be renewing his contract. Though his CO told him he would miss having him on his team, he was proud of him for the choice he was making. Telling his team would be a whole other story, they would probably harass him, but he knew exactly where he wanted to be. He was ecstatic that he would have a few months with his beautiful bride before he had to deal with starting a new job. He had arranged for Rich and Linda to stay an extra day, so they could stay with Emily. He was surprising Adele with a night in the ranch's honeymoon suite, then he knew she would want to be back with Emily.

          He couldn't believe in just 10 days he would marry Adele and they would start their life together. He sure hoped they would have a child in the next year, he couldn't wait to start their family. He knew one thing for certain, his kids would never have to look for their parents. They would grow up knowing their parents loved them and supported them. Which brought him back to searching for his sister, he really wished he would find a lead on that. He needed to check his e-mail to see if there was any new leads. He had research friends, all across the country, who were helping him search for her.

       Realizing his coffee was now cold, he tossed the rest over the railing, before going to refill his cup and check his e-mail. He was just sitting down at the table to sign into his computer when Emily walked into the kitchen. She smiled at him before saying, "What are you doing up this early?" He laughed, looked at his watch, then replied, "It's 6:30, not too early. I was just watching the sun come up, then figured I would check some e-mails. I can make you something to eat. Are you hungry?" Emily poured herself a cup of coffee, then said, "No need to worry about that, i'm not very hungry."

        Mac sighed, he had noticed her appetite decreasing, which he knew was part of her disease. He cleared his throat and motioned for her to join him. Once she was seated he said, "Emily, I asked Jesse to come by today. I've noticed you are a lot more tired, not eating as much, and you seem to be in more pain. Even though you are trying to hide it, i've also notice the bouts of dizziness and you being unsteady on your feet. I know this is part of what will happen, but it shouldn't be going on this soon. I want to know if there is anything else we can be doing. I know I should have talked to you first, but this is important. We want you with us as long as possible, I hope you aren't too mad."

       Emily sighed, she knew he would notice sooner or later. She said, "I'm not mad. I know you are both worried, but I have been in touch with my doctor. He doesn't think I will have as long as we hoped. He says with the increase of symptoms I have been having, he fear the 3-6 month estimate may have been to long. now he's suspecting it ay be closer to 2-3 months. He said he would like me to get some more blood work, but I needed to find a place here to do it." Mac squeezed her hand in comfort, before replying, "I bet Jesse can order those tests for us. Why don't you try to relax? We will have a day watching movies, eating popcorn and just relaxing here today."