Chapter 33

They were almost through with dinner when Emily emerged from her room. Adele noticed how tired she looked and that she was awfully pale. She said "Hey Momma. How was your nap?" Emily smiled and said "The bed sure is comfortable, but I didn't sleep well. The smells from the kitchen finally got to me." Mac grinned and said "Well you sit down with us and i'll grab the plate I saved for you."

     She sat down and said "That was awful sweet of Mac Honey." Adele kept her hand under the table until Mac came back with Emily's plate. Once her mom had started eating she said "We have some news Momma." Emily looked up and said "News?" Adele pulled her hand out and said "Mac asked me to marry him Momma and I said Yes!" Emily grinned and said "That's wonderful you two! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you!"

      They were chatting as they finished eating and Adele suggested Mac & Emily go out on the deck, saying she would be right out with the coffee. Mac kissed her softly before escorting Emily to the deck chairs. They sat down and he noticed the far away sad look on her face. He cleared his throat and said "What's wrong Emily?"

     She turned to look at him and sighed before saying "I won't be here to see you two married. I always thought I would help her plan her wedding, pick out her dress and cake tastings." Mac angled his head regarding her quietly before saying "What makes you think you won't be here?"

    She smiled a sad smile and said "They gave me 6 months maximum Mac. A wedding takes time to plan and honestly i'm not sure how long I truly have. I don't want to worry Adele, but this trip has worn me out, i'm not sure I can go farther." Mac smiled and said "We can always extend our stay here if you feel it would be too much to be in the car all that time. I need you to promise me though if you start feeling worse we at least call your doctor or let someone check you out."

     She patted his hand and said "Give me a few days to think about it Mac and thank you. My girl couldn't have ever chosen a better man than you." Mac pulled her into a quick hug and said "I'll talk with her tonight to see how soon she wants to get hitched. Maybe we can do a small ceremony quickly so you will be there to watch us marry." Little did he know Emily truly felt her time was coming to an end a lot sooner than they thought.