Twenty

Johnson

I woke up to the sound of glass shattering, and I jumped out of bed and rushed to the noise.

Jack threw a picture down of him and his mom on the floor and pieces of glass were everywhere.

"What the hell are you doing?" I yelled, I glanced at the wall clock, "It's fucking almost 4 in the morning."

Jack ignored me, and picked up a picture from a side table next to the couch and stared down at it.

He clenched his jaw, and whipped the picture frame down on the floor.

Another picture of him and his mom.

"Whoa! Dude, calm down." Jack looked back up at me and his eyes were bloodshot.

At first, I thought he may have been just drunk.

But his eyes were bloodshot from tears.

"Look, I stayed the night here cause Camila left-"

"She didn't leave," he cut me off. "I let her walk out on me. I shouldn't have." He picked up one of the picture frames he already smashed to the ground, and just stared down at it.

"I need her." He sniffled.

"Then go get her."

"I-I can't Johnson. She's gone and will never forgive me."

"It's not like you cheated on her it was just a fight."

Silence lapsed, and almost a minute passes before he spoke again, still staring at the picture.

"She kissed me.....Emily did. But I didn't kiss her back, I came straight home right after it happened and-and I cheated on her Johnson, she doesn't deserve that. I'm such a fucking asshole." He cried.

"It's not like you wanted her to kiss you. It's not your fault."

"It is my fault!" He yelled, "It is my fault I went to fucking dinner with my ex-girlfriend and Camila just let me. How could she let me? How could I let myself?"

"Maybe because she just wants what's best for you.....maybe because you put her on the spot and she had to say yes."

He sighed, "I fucking hate myself." He threw the picture frame at the wall beside him.

"It's been almost a week since you fought, I think you should talk to her."

"I have tried!" He yelled. "She won't answer, God she probably wants nothing to do with me."

"I miss my mom, I miss Camila." He began to cry.

Camila

"Where's your little boyfriend Camila?"

Shit.

"I thought they expelled you." I turned around to see Nash.

"No," he laughed. "I'm not even the one who did it, but I have to give the person who did a high five, that's for sure." He smiled evil.

I wanted to pick my food off my tray and whip it at his face, but you already know that'd make matters worse for me.

I hate Nash. I don't even care if he wasn't the person who plastered pictures of me half naked all over the school, I still hate him and I always will.

I still can't believe Mr. Black didn't even give him a suspension, he had to have had something to do with this.

I could feel more eyes shift towards us in the spacious cafeteria, there was always a show at this hell hole.

"Go to hell." I spat.

"I'm already planning on going there." He folded his arms.

"I-I can't take you anymore. You've gone out of your way to make my life miserable and for what? What did I ever do to you, Nash?! J-just because I didn't sleep with you? Is that it?" I raised my voice.

His eyes burned into mine and his expression was blank, like he wasn't phased by me.

"Why won't you explain it to me?!" I yelled.

He said nothing, and I felt a hand on my shoulder.

I almost jumped at the touch and turned around to see Dylan.

"Come on, let's go."

"Don't touch me." I shook him off.

"Camila, come on." He sighed.

"No, I dont want to. Fuck off."

-

There was a knock at my front door, I answered it and I couldn't believe it.

Jack was standing on my porch and the only thing separating us was this screen door.

"Can I come in?" He asked after we stared at each other for minutes in silence.

"No."

He didn't seem surprised by the answer, almost just disappointed.

"Fine, I've been trying to say this all to you for days....just hear me out," I just waited for him to speak and he let out a deep breath.

"I-I'm sorry. You deserve so much better, so much better...." His voice was shaky, and his hands trembled as he shoved them in his pockets.

"We're better off out of each other's lives, well....You're better off not in my life," he corrected himself, and sighed again. "You were the best thing that ever happened to me, God I love you so much. I always will....but things can be this way. I treated you like dirt, and I know there's someone else who can make you happy, more than I ever did."

He stared into my eyes through the screen door and everything felt so different.

"I love you, but we need to stay away from each other Camila. It's fucking hurting me-"

"Don't you care about how I feel?" I asked shoving the screen door open.

"Of course but-"

"You know what? Cut me off, but just know for damn sure you'll look for me in everyone else. You'll never find anyone better than me." I spoke putting energy into all of my words.

"You're right, I won't." His tone was flat.

"Goodbye Jack, for good." I said stepping back into my house.

"I'll always love you." I heard him soft and quietly say to my back. I ignored it, I had to.

I'll always care for him.

And that's what I hate most about myself.

×××××××××××××

Vote, comment!