Thirty Two

Jack

"About damn time you're home." I mumbled as Sam walked past me in the kitchen.

"I fell asleep, what's the big deal?" He asked.

"Nothing." I mumbled.

"I hope you realize you got Emily to deal with....not me, or Camila." He reached for the fridge, but pulled his hand away.

"We're getting a new fucking fridge." Sam turned away from it.

"Is-is Camila okay?" I couldn't help but asking.

"She's a little shaken up, but I think she will be okay...within time." He replied.

"Why did he hit her?" My curiosity was getting the best of me.

"Cause he's a piece of shit." Sam mumbled.

"But why her? Why Camila?"

"They dated, he abused her all the time. That guy is fucked up, can't believe I was ever friends with that dick." Sam sat down at the counter, and stared down at the floor.

"God, I can't even sit in here." He got up, leaving the room.

I followed after him as we both sat in the living room.

"Why did he hit her, Sam. Tell me everything. I want to know it all."

"After you and Camila broke up, a little while later she started going out with Cameron and I don't know every detail....Camila doesn't like talking about it. But, he would always hit her and then quickly apologize, she forgave him....but he never stopped....until you one day kicked his ass at school and they were done. I don't know how he got here last night but he trapped her in the kitchen and she hit him to get him away from her and that's when he went into a rampage. Camila told me every single detail, and I don't think I'll ever be able to sleep at night the same."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Wait...I dated her? For how long?"

"A few months, you guys did so much together, she was there for you when your mom died and everything but Emily fucked that up. All of it."

"Emily?" I repeated.

"Yeah, at your moms visitation she-she got all in your head and basically convinced you that you didn't have feelings for Camila. She brainwashed you, moral of the shitty fucking story."

".....I want to know more." I confessed.

"That is all there is, Jack."

"There has to be more, there's always more."

"Not every story has a happy ending, Gilinsky."

"....Do you like Camila?"

"What?" Sam asked, acting like he didn't hear right.

"Do you like Camila?" I repeated.

"I just got out of a relationship not that long ago...I-I don't-"

"That doesn't mean you don't have feelings for her."

"Why would you care anyway?"

"Why won't you answer the question?"

"Because it doesn't need to be answered." He shot.

"I think it does." I shot back.

"Why? You don't even know Camila. I understand you're curious, but not every question needs to be answered."

"Why won't you answer the question?" I asked.

"You know what? Fine, I do have feelings for Camila. I really fucking do and I just can't help it Jack, I'm sorry but I can't." Sam got up from his seat.