Two.

*Kai's POV*

Meredith walked into my bedroom, blushing a little. "Ah. You're awake. Hi." I smiled warmly. She went bright red and looked at the ground, shyly. Around even her friends, she is critically shy. 

"Hey." she said quietly, sitting on the end of my bed. "I was lonely, so I came here." she giggled.

"Well, I'm always up for talking." I shrugged, pausing my music, which was blasting through my headphones. When she asked me what I was listening to, I grinned. "The Divine Zero by Pierce the Veil."

"I should have guessed." she smirked at me from under her hair.

I sighed, feeling bad. Ever since I'd met Meredith, I'd had a soft spot for her. Something about her kinda reminded me of her. I guess we could kind of relate to each other. "Meredith... You don't have to be shy with me..." I bit my lip.

"What? Oh... I..." She stuttered. "I just..."

"You just what?" I said, concerned.

"I just don't trust people..." She shrugged. "I trust Devin and my brother, Reece, but I guess that's it."

"Why? You can trust me." I promised her. 

"I think it's because of my parents. They... They abandoned me and my brother. We lived in a house alone for six months. Two kids. Two tiny kids. He looked after me. He was seven and I was four, and we were alone. I'm just scared to get close, I guess." Meredith suddenly opened up. 

I was speechless, and she gasped, putting her hand to her lips. "I-I... I didn't mean to open up so much. I'm sorry." 

"Hey, it's okay. I'm glad you told me. We're better friends now." I smiled reassuringly. "Seriously. You can trust me." 

She blushed and smiled as I moved over and hugged her tightly. When I moved away, she looked at the ground. "Do you want a milkshake?" I asked. "Ashley bought some earlier and told me to help myself." 

Meredith nodded and I walked downstairs towards the kitchen. As I walked past the bathroom I saw something on the ground and frowned. It was a knife. What the heck was that doing there? Why would someone have a knife here? I bent down to pick it up, and when I got the milkshakes I put the knife in the sink to be washed. 

When I went back into Meredith's room, I furrowed my eyebrow. "What?" Meredith looked worried.

"There was a knife in the bathroom." I said, confused. 

"Oh. Maybe it was put there by accident?" Meredith looked puzzled. "We have only just moved in. It was probably Devin. He's a scatterbrain." 

"Yeah." I laughed, but something deep down told me it didn't seem right.