Chapter 37

[LINDA]

"Ridiculous," I muttered, stuffing a hand full of walnuts into my mouth. I've been stress eating them lately. On the news was the story of a yet again another murder crime. The murderer's motive this time was that his wife divorced him. That's what made it sound ridiculous. Why kill her when you could make the rest of her life miserable?

I've decided not to let this Julian problem take over my life. I've started eating and taking better care of myself. All I needed to do now was take care of the overgrown hair on my head. Because I felt miserable didn't mean I should look like I was.

I frowned at the vibration of my phone in my side pocket. Can't Kevin stop bothering me? He has been calling me every ten minutes. I fished out my phone, hoping to give Kevin a piece of my mind.

"What?" I asked, picking up the call without checking the caller ID. Nobody called me apart from Kevin and occasionally Vera's lawyer, and I'd quit my job ages ago.

"Thank goodness you answered, you must be her guardian," A feminine voice from the other end said with clear relief.

I knotted my brows in confusion. I'm the guardian of whom exactly? What in the world was she talking about?

"You must have the wrong number, I'm nobody's guardian," I said in a calm voice, preparing to hang up.

"Wait! You must at least know her, be a relative or something?" she questioned from the other end. I rubbed my brows with my free hand and sighed. If she really wanted me to answer her questions she would at least give me a name.

"Who are you talking about?" I asked giving her a hand. Maybe the stress of whatever she was doing was biting at her.

"Amanda banks."

My eyes widened at the mention of Zeus' secretary. The one I'd often bullied for information.

"I know her, what about her?" I asked trying to keep my cool. For all I know, she might have reported me for harassment and blackmail, and I might just as well be talking to a cop.

"Her delivery was successful. This is the line for Sanctuary hospital." My blood boiled in irritation at that answer. Here I was thinking I was probably going to jail and I get told she had her baby? That's not my damn business.

"Then why I'm a being called? You just wasted my time—"

"But..." the lady trailed from the other end, cutting me halfway. I calmed myself to listen to the bad news. 'Buts' were never good.

"She was put in the intensive care section due to her continual loss of blood. She didn't seem to have taken her pre-care seriously. Then the nurses hooked her up and came back the next morning—" The woman stopped, sighing. I waited for it, the bad news I was so sure of. Something had happened and in one way or the other, it was probably my fault.

"And the equipment and tubes plugged to her seemed to have been forcefully detached. We tried to save her, but the damage had already been done," the lady said from the other end.

"She killed herself," I half-whispered. There were streams of apologies from the other end but my mind wouldn't focus. I'd made her so miserable that she'd killed herself. I didn't have to bully her. All she wanted to do was have her baby in peace.

I gulped, realizing I had been jealous—jealous of the fact that having just the baby of the man she loved was enough for her—jealous because I wasn't content.

"We're very sorry; we give you our sincere apologies. We had searched the bag she came in with for any information. There were no IDs, credit cards, phone, nothing. Only a crumpled piece of paper with your number on it," She said filling me in.