Chapter 17

[LOUIS]

I need to change my number.

Leo has been making my life a living hell. Why couldn't he just back off? Why couldn't he just leave me alone? I wondered, pulling a trench coat over my alter neck sweater, blue jeans, and brown knee-length boots. The mornings are relatively cold here in Paris.

Opening the three blots of my front door I peeped out into the street to make sure Leo wasn't out there somewhere and planning to follow me. I sighed in relief after concluding he was nowhere in sight. I finally pulled together some guts to walk out the front door; shutting it behind me I repeated the same process.

Chain bolt —  checked.

Key lock — checked.

Padlock — checked.

Zeus had asked me about these locks during his last visit but it's not as if I could tell him I was being followed — stalked even. I yawned, rubbing my eyes with the back of my palm. I haven't been sleeping well, and you could guess why. This Leo thing is really getting out of hand. I miss Zeus; he's probably found some whore in L.A to bang. I can't really deny how heavy it made my heart feel. I've tried to be indifferent about it, but it doesn't quite work out.

I sighed looking walking up the mid-January harassed pavements. There wasn't any snow late last year just rains. For some reason, I made it essential to step on ever puddle I met on the way. The sun wasn't completely out yet so the neighborhood was still quiet.

I shivered, hugging myself. The weather is a lot harsher than I anticipated. I heard the slow approach of a car behind me.

"Louis," I heard Leo's voice say.

Don't look. I mentally kicked myself, quickening my pace.

"Don't ignore me, Louis. I can give you a lift, you know," Leo continued, not taking the hint.

"I'm fine," I said, walking faster but Leo just increases the speed of his car.

"You're freezing," he argued.

"I'm not," I lied, shivering. Damn, I shouldn't have stepped in those puddles, but, no matter how cold it got, I'm not getting into his car.

"You're too beautiful to be shivering." There he goes again — being creepy. I stopped in my tracks, shutting my eyes for a while before opening them again and sighing. Obviously, he had stopped his car too. Can't he just — I don't know? Leave me alone?

"Lay off, Leo! Just let me be, okay?" I complained.

"He's not talking to you is he?" Leo asked, his voice coming out in a quiver. My heart sunk. I was quite ashamed of how he could easily read my thoughts  — at how I was sort of still using him as some sort of emotional punching bag. That was the thing with Leo. I always felt so guilty.

"It's okay, I'll just leave," Leo said, his voice shaky. I turned to look at him for the first time; he looked sad - angry.

"Leo..." I trailed, guilt eating me.

"You know I just wanted to help, I wasn't planning to force you to do anything. I want to fuck you, of course, but I don't want to hurt you. I lov—never mind. Forget about it. You don't even care," Leo muttered, rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand.

"Leo—"

"I'm not crying!" Leo said in a firm tone, breaking down and trying hopelessly to fetch his tears with the back of his hands.

"Leo I..." I tried saying, but I got cut off.

"It's fine, okay? You don't have to say anything, I'm leaving," Leo mumbled, trying to wind up the window. I got a glimpse of his eyes. They were blood red and misty with tears. Had he been crying before now?