Chapter Four: A Huge Step

Katniss' POV:

We sat at the dining table in silence.

By the look on Peeta's face, he's trying to find the right words to say. "You said you're pregnant. Real or Not Real?" I got up and sat down in the chair next to him.

I held his hand and whispered,"Real." He looked down at my stomach and then back at me. "How far along are you?"

"I'm 8 weeks. I have an appointment in 2 weeks. Wanna come with me? I need you there." He smiled and nodded. "I'll arrange my schedule." I smiled and he began laughing a little.

"Can I be excited now?" He asked, unsure. I smiled and nodded. He picked me up and began twirling me around. He placed me on the ground and placed a gentle kiss on my lips. He bent down, lifted up my shirt and began leaving gentle kisses on it. I smiled.

It's now that I realize I'm crying. They're not sad tears though, they're happy tears. I ran my fingers through Peeta's hair.

"Hi baby. I'm you're daddy... I love you so much. I can't wait to meet you and hold you and definitely spoil you." He whispered to my stomach. I smiled and laughed lightly.

"Your mommy loves you and can't wait to meet you either." I watched Peeta as he spoke to the baby. Peeta is gonna be the world's greatest dad. I hope our baby looks exactly like him. I hope he has his father's beautiful eyes and his gorgeous golden blonde curls.

I hope he has Peeta's kindess, courage, and patience. I hope he has all of Peeta's personality. This kid is gonna have some crazy parents. One has flashbacks of Games and War and one that has nightmares almost every night. Then a thought comes to mind.

My child is gonna go to school, learn about the Games and the War that ended them. Our child will come home from school one day and ask us about it. How will we tell him? Peeta's voice snapped me back to reality.

"Katniss? You okay?" I nodded, forcing a smile onto my lips. I was not okay. I had so much questions to ask him but they wouldn't come out.

"Katniss. I know you're not okay." He said, softly. Of course he knows. He knows me too well. He grabbed my hand and lead me to the couch. We sat down. "Katniss, are you excited about this baby?"

"Of course I am. It's just..." I trailed off. I looked down at my lap, trying to fight back the tears that will soon come. He lifted up my chin, making me look at him. "Katniss. Tell what's going through your head. You can tell me."

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "How will we tell him about the Games? How will we tell him we were in 2 games and a War?"

Peeta sighed. "We'll tell her when the time is right. Katniss don't worry about that now. Okay?"

I nodded. "Peeta?"

"Yes, my love?"

"When did you realize you wanted kids?" He sighed, taking a moment to think. "Well since I was young. Maybe around 11 years old. Everytime my mom yelled at me, called me horrible things, hit me..." He trailed off. I knew he was trying to hold back his tears. I gave his hand a small squeeze so he knew I was here and knew that everything was okay.

"I realized that when I have children that I would treat them better than my mom treated me. I would love them more than my mom loved me. Well she never loved me. I would want to prove to my mother that I was better than what she thought. I wanted my children to have a better life than I had. You know? A safer life." He explained. I nodded in understanding.

"Peeta.. You're gonna make a wonderful father." He smiled. "Well you're gonna make a fantastic mother." He leaned in and kissed my lips ever so gently.