Chapter 2

Mello loved Near as much as he loathed him. It was extremely confusing and aggravating at the same time, on the borderline of itching to kiss Near or kill him. He wasn't exactly sure why he fell for his rival either. One morning he simply woke up, thinking of Near and feeling warm and fuzzy. It was just the way Near would constantly twirl his hair or breath softly, the little things that Mello normally found irritated,  now found endearing. He had never had a crush before, so this new experience was truly horrifying and disturbing, yet also interesting. 

The blond groaned and laid in his bed, staring at the ceiling. All the emotions he felt... They were incredibly complex. It was like his heart was fighting a war against his mind. This was Near. Off all people, Near. The only person in his way of achieving his ultimate goal of becoming the next L. Mello shut his eyes, and finally allowed himself to slip into the dark oblivion in which reality fades, and anything is possible, sweep him away.

The next day.

It was 1:43 pm and Matt was desperately attempting to wake Mello up by shaking him, beating him with a pillow, turning the light on and off, but nothing seemed to work. 

Until Near passed by Mello's room and popped his fluffy head in when he heard Matt screaming,"MELLO, MELLO, MELLO WAKE THE HELL UP ALREADY! I WANTS TO GO TO THE VIDEO GAME STORE!" The red haired boy in long sleeved black and white striped shirt, was getting impatient trying to wake his best friend up.

Near silently watched Matt's futile attempts and began to feel sorry for the redhead. He took a few steps inside the room and approached Mello's bed, and on the nightstand laid exactly what he needed. A chocolate bar. Near picked it up, waved it around the blondes nose and like magic, Mello's eyes popped open. His mouth snapped towards the candy and successfully bit Near's thumb in the process. Matt facepalmed,"Why didn't I think of that?"

So the albino simply shrugged and walked out of the room, and Mello rapidly leapt to his feet and changed into a black long sleeved shirt with black jeans and ran after Near, then rushed back to his room and brushed his teeth. Matt groaned and as soon as Mello was done they both went to Near's room. It was Sunday morning, and at Wammy's home, sundays were like free days. You could go out or stay indoors, practically anything as long as no blood was shed. So normally, the blondie and redhead would go out into the city to catch a movie or buy games anything they felt like doing really.

Standing in his doorway Mello spoke first,"So Near would you like to head out with us?" Matt added,"It'll be fun." The tiny pale boy cocked his head and thought of it,"...I suppose it wouldn't do much harm, so yes I would like to head out with you both." 

Internally Mello was fisting the air and squealing like a school girl, externally, he was calm and collected. "So, Matt. What're we going to do today?" He turned his attention to his best friend who was grinning from ear to ear,"I thought you'd never ask."