Chapter 6

Friday evening, nothing to do except play with his robots and stack more dies. Near perfectly places each dice on top of the other, one by one.

'Mello wouldn't be able to stand this... He doesn't have the patience.' Near smiles to himself, picturing the blonde boy in this room with him, constructing a tower of dies..

Mello can't stay still for long and wait. He always has to take action and call the shots..

'Mello..' Near sighs and abruptly stops building. He closes his eyes and pictures the blondie, smiling. With his lovely, light pink lips and sparkling blue eyes.

As much as he wants to deny it, Near has loved Mello since the day he met him.

When he first arrived at Wammy's before the rivalry and hate... Back before they had begun to fight for the title, L the greatest detective in the world.

-flashback-

Roger warmly greeted Near with his fatherly smile and crinkly eyes. "Welcome to Wammy's, Nate. From this day, you will be called Near for safety measures alright?"

Nate nodded, holding his stuffed rabbit and a backpack with a few pajamas and toothbrush.

Roger led him inside, giving him a tour and a set of rules to abide if he wished to stay at the orphanage. There were approximately 3 floors, the library and lunchroom all located on the first floor along with Rogers office and the rest of the floors were filled with rooms. Each orphan either shared a room or stayed alone.

So Near was placed on the second floor, in the corner of the hall. Typical.

While Roger was giving him the last bit of tour of the library, he noticed two boys in particular. About the same age as him, if not older. A blonde with medium hair, blue eyes, dressed in all black with a rosary hanging from his neck and a redhead wearing googles and a striped shirt with jeans. They seemed to be stealthily avoiding Roger, scurrying from bookshelf to bookshelf, obviously up to mischief.

But Near kept quite, following Roger without bothering to warn him about the two troublesters.. "Near...I would like to talk to you." He gestured to the table with two chairs. The redhead hiding behind the bookshelf snickered and peered in between the books. Quickly, the blond noticed his partner in crimes sudden noise and jabbed his side.

Near was now over 5% sure that somehow the boys expected something hilarious to go on between him and Roger...

The table was clean, the chairs functioned properly and as far as he could tell, had not been tampered with...

So perhaps something on the seats? It must be. He had to choose wisely...

"Near? Are you alright? You've been staring at the ground for the past three minutes?" Roger asked, clearly concerned.

"Yes, I am fine." He bit his nail and selected the chair on the left, since it was the seat farthest from the boys, believing they had selected the wooden chair closest to them to mess with.

"Good, as I was saying-"

He was cut off by a long, deafening fart. With that, howls of laugher rang in their ears. Rodger had sat down on a whoopie coushin. 

Roger went red, extremely red like a tomato red. "Mello! Matt!" He yelled. "I will not tolerate this behavior!"

The pranksters ran out, still laughing.

Roger shut his eyes and rubbed his temples. "Those boys will be the end of me.."He murmured.

On the outside, Near sat there monotone and neutral. But on the inside... Now that was a different story. He was grinning ear to ear, giggling. From day one, he admired the two boys... The blonde slightly more than the one with the googles but whatever.

-End flashback-