Chapter 5

Lunch time:

Matt walks into the cafeteria as he does any other day, completely absorbed with his DS, playing Pokemon. Crashing into random people and occasionally cursing.

He sits where he normally does and a few minutes later Mello joins him, blabbering nonstop about how he's going to be the best and better than Near and Matt agrees, barley paying attention.

Then by some miracle, Mello shuts up for a bit. Shocked, Matt looks up and sees what he's staring at.

Little Near whose walking to the library, clutching his rabbit and a bucket full of Dominos. Then Matt pauses his Pokemon game, in the middle of the battle against the Pokemon league. He wickedly grins,"Lets go talk to Near, eh Mels?"

Mello furiously glares at him,"And why would I want to do that?"

"Because you loooo-" Mello slammed his palm into Matt's pink lips and hissed,"I will cut your tongue off and shoot your brains out, too, if you ever, and I mean ever! Try to say that again!" He hissed.

Matt gulped and Mello's hand slipped off his face and back to the table.

"Jeez... No need to be so serious Mello."

"Whatever lets go."

"Near," the redhead dangled the rabbit in front of the pale boys face,"Just answer my question and I'll give your stupid stuffed animal back to you."

"For the last time, Matt, I do not find you attractive." He sighed and outstretched his hand. "I know you secretly do!" Matt said obliviously cheerful and placed the fluffy ball of fur back into Near's hands.

Mello rolled his eyes and reached into his left pocket, pulling out a-

There was nothing.

Nothing in his right pocket either. No chocolate, no happiness, no refuge from this cold, rotten world.

His cerulean blue eyes went wide and he could already feel his emotions taking control, overriding any sense of logic or humanity inside of him.

"Hey Me-" Matt began but was shortly interrupted as Mello grasped his shoulders and violently shook him.

"I HAVE NO GOD DAMN CHOCOLATE!"

Then pushing him back, Matt stumbled to the floor, letting out a small oof and shutting his eyes.

Mello paced back and forth, biting his nails.

Near sighed,'I knew this was going to happen..' Then he pulled out a chocolate bar from his bucket and threw it at Mello,"There."

Mello swiftly caught it and grinned,"Thanks."