Chapter 23

Mello leapt off the motorcycle and thee it to the side, he found the house almost immediately and ran inside, not bothered by the dried blood and gore, only desperately searching for Near. He noticed lights from a bedroom and without hesitation sprinted in there and saw the bizarrely dressed teenager that was holding a jar of.. Strawberry jam? "Beyond?" Mello approached him slowly with great care and stared at him intensely,"What are you doing here?" Beyond replied, his red eyes brightening,"Kheel! You made it after all! I guess Near and I were both wrong since we had calculated you out of this problem. But your here now and that's good, it's great, just as I wanted so... Were should we start hm?"

Mello didn't see Near anywhere in the bathroom but there were three different closed doors, he knew Near had to be in one of them from the muffled screams. It was faint, barely audible but it was there. "Choose a door, Mello." Beyond said sweetly and licking more jam,"And if you get it right, I won't kill either of you. But if you pick the wrong door..."

"Yeah, I get it I'll die."

"Mmm... Not exactly. But if that's what you think will happen." Beyond shrugged and gained a questioning look from the blond fourteen year old boy, who already thought of several situations worse than death. For starters, a life without Near. Letting Beyond win this little game. Failing to be the next L.

"Why are you doing this anyways? What's the whole point in murdering someone's parents?" Mello asked, hoping to stall time and guess the correct door. "My point? I never knew killing had to have a point." Beyond looked up and tapped his foot for a few seconds. "Ah! I wanted to get L's attention, see he would notice if two of his greatest successors died, no doubt he would begin to search for the killer himself and boom. I meet the L!" Beyond birthday practically gushed and scooped more jam in his hand, sliding it into his mouth. Mello was disgusted with the man, stealing the lives of two innocent people just up lure Near and Mello out here for him to try to kill just to meet L? "Why even bother killing Mr. and Mrs. River?" Mello inquired. "Wouldn't it have been easier just to kill Near and I at Wammy's? I mean we sleep in the same room, it wouldn't have been so hard."

"See I thought about that just, I wanted more. More theatrics, more deaths, more attention. With the father and mother of Nate dead, I had assured L's attention since he would look at this case, since there are over a hundred people dead oh by the way Mello your dad is no longer on this Earth." He winces and chuckled softly,"Sorry about that."

Mello's eyes widened. "What do you mean?"

"I might have killed him?" Beyond shrugged and Mihael lashed at the jar,"YOU BIG HEADED IMBECILE!"

Beyond Birthday's eyes dilated and watched the jar of his beloved strawberry jam shatter on the floor and it's contents spilled. "You. Did not. Just. Fucking. Do. That." He growled,"You had fifty years of life Mello, but now your down to fifty seconds to run." He pulled out a long, sharp knife and held it in attack position. "Get ready to die, cunt!" Mello yelled and grabbed the object closest to him, a pink fluffy towel. 

---

A/N: SHOUT OUT TO MY FAVORITE FAN FIC WRITER WithoutHaste and her AMAZING WRITING FOR INSPIRING ME. xD