Chapter 18

This had blown the blond away. "You want.. To go after a killer... For your parents sake?"

"Yes." Near nodded.

"I'm not sure, Near... Can we have sometime to think about this? I'm usually all for rushing into situations but this concerns your safety and I can't risk you getting hurt."

Fire blazed in orbs of gray,"Mello, every moment that sick, twisted murderer is out there, someone's life is at risk. Someone with a family, or a lover, someone who has people in their lives that need and love that person. And you want to sit around and think about this all because you're scared I might get hurt?"

"There are a thousand lunatics in this world, Near! You can't just-"

The determination in his voice was as clear as daylight,"Then there will be nine hundred ninety-nine by the time we're through."

Mello groaned, that marked his defeat and slowly asked,"As there's no point in arguing with you, when would we start?"

"Tomorrow."

"Then we should get some rest," Mello checked the time on the alarm clock which silently stood on his nightstand,"It's almost midnight..."

"Mello.." Near breathed and embraced the blond boy,"Sing me a lullaby."

"W-What?" He was rather astonished at Near's request. "You want me to sing for you?" Near nodded again, his eyes pleading. "I don't know a lot of songs but..." He shrugged,"Here goes nothing."

Mello began to sing with a soft, melodic tune. You practically had to strain yourself to hear him.

Wise men say only fools rush in

but I can't help falling in love with you

Shall I stay

would it be a sin

If I can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows surely to the sea

Darling so it goes

some things are meant to be

take my hand, take my whole life too

for I can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows surely to the sea

Darling so it goes

some things are meant to be

take my hand, take my whole life too

for I can't help falling in love with you

They fell asleep, holding each other as Mello finished the last verse. Both with hopeful hearts and warm, fuzzy feelings. Neither of them remembering that their love is destined to crash and burn.

Next day

School, notes, eat, class, rush, lunch, chocolate, Near. Thoughts and actions blur through Mello's head up until he's hit the breaking point where he just wants to punch a wall. Near's expecting him after classes but Mello knows that if he doesn't calm down, more or less he'll end up hurting the tiny boy.

And he does not want that.

So to blow off steam, the blond locates a certain gamer and kidnaps him, dragging him outdoors for a quick game of soccer. One on one. "Seriously, Mels, can't we just play FIFA?" Matt loudly complains as Mello aims at the goal with a beaten down black and white soccer ball. "No!" The catholic snapped and keeps his eyes forwards,"It's not the same."