Chapter 16

Near broke away from Mello's grip and ran, ran as fast as his little legs could carry him down the hall, from eye distance.

"Was it something I said?" Mello continuously asked Matt as they walked to their next class, English. "Maybe I pulled him too hard.." The rest of the day, Mello's mind was on Near. Near, Near, Near. He laid in bed, rather than studying or doing assignments Mello thought of him.

'Whats wrong?'

'Did I cause you pain?'

'Why? Why did you run off?'

'Damn it, where are you?'

Mello gripped his rosary, the red beaded necklace hanging from his neck and stared at the ceiling.

'Is there anything I can do to fix this?'

That's when Mello decided he had to act, he had to do something, anything to make things right. He rolled out of bed and rushed out his room, carefully stopping to lock his door. Afterwards, he sprinted down the hallways, left foot, right foot, one by one. Up the stairs, to the left, to Near's room. Huffing, he reached his destination. The blond was reaching out to the doorknob when he heard a loud crash from inside. 'Oh my god!' Mello was internally screaming, hoping, praying that Near was alright. That his precious little sheep was okay and safe. And that whatever just made that terrifying noise didn't touch him.

The door was locked. The bloody door was locked! "Near, open the door!" Mello yelled and helplessly banged on the white, wooden wall that stood between him and the boy he had fallen in love with. Other children in the orphanage began to notice the racket and emerged from their rooms, observing the frantic blue eyed genius. "Near! Please open the door!" Mello was begging and violently pounding away, every cell in his body distraught with fear. He couldn't take it anymore, the silence was killing him. So the blond did the most calm, rational thing he could do in this situation.

He kicked down the door.

And what he saw, he could have never imagined what Near was capable of... Sweet, little, neutral Near.

The room in short, was complete chaos. His desk was thrown across the floor, crayon scribbles on the walls. All his collections of dominoes and dies scattered on the ground and his bed was undone, pillows ripped open. Near sat in the havoc he had created, right in the middle of it all, holding himself together, sobbing.

"N-Near? What's wrong? What-what happened?" Mello gawked at the disaster and made his way to the little, pale boy. "Near?"

He looked up, puffy, red eyes and his facial expression in utter anguish,"Mello... I-I.." He dug his fingernails into his sides, looking downwards so he could conceal his face. Mello turned to see an audience at the door,"WOULD YOU MIND?" He roared and in less then seconds, the crowd of children disintegrated. The chocolate addict then turned his full attention to his love.

"Near, what is it? What did you do?" Mello tenderly inquired. "It's my-my fault Mello." He let out an animal-like cry of anger and lashed out at the closest object to him, which happened to be a plastic robot. "Near, calm down. You aren't making any sense." Mello was centimeters away, about to pick Near up, when the small boy leapt back. "You don't understand, Mello, no one, no one understands! I've-I've been 'good' all my life! I've been the well mannered, emotionless freak, all my life and guess where that got me?" He said, exasperation dripping from his tone. "Near-"

"I'll go ahead and answer myself since you obviously wouldn't know, a front row ticket to my parents funeral, only I'm not going to be able to attend. I'm stuck here, or people will recognize me... They'll- they'll.." Near's voice dropped to a whisper,"I don't know what they will do. But Rodger has told me its dangerous and he absolutely forbids me from going.."

"You're parents are dead?" He wasn't expecting that.

Near nodded and clenched his tiny fists,"R-Rodger t-told me this morning... Before I got to class."

"How did he find out?"

"It was... In a local newspaper. The River couple found dead in their beds, 'was it foul play or suicide?'" He took shaky breaths,"Knowing my parents... They were so strong, mentally strong, somewhat physically. It couldn't have been suicide.." Near stared at the tile floor, as if he stared long enough the secrets of his parents murders would reveal themselves.

"I know what it's like, Near. Trust me, I know..." Mello's typically smooth, relaxed voice was now tight and hushed. "But putting yourself in a position of solitude and pushing others away will not help you get better. So please, Nate, I know this hurts, but please don't push me away." Mello began to approach him again, cautiously. He outstretched his arms to the albino and lifted him to Mello's chest. Near squeezed his eyes shut and clutched to the blondes black shirt, quivering. "I never had the chance to tell them goodbye, Mello." Near didn't trust his voice. It was hallow and barely above a whisper. "It's okay, Near. I think they left regretting never seeing you again most." Mello tried to comfort the distraught albino. His attempts only made Near feel worse.

"C'mon lets go to my room, it's a mess here, no offense Near." Mello set Near down and gathered the toys left intact in his arms then gestured with his head for Near to follow him. "O-Okay." The little genius mumbled and followed Mello down the halls, stairs, and to his room.