Chapter 39

Madison's eyes fluttered open to the silver glimmer of light reflecting off of the diamond jewel on her finger. For a slight second, she smiled at the sight of the ring on her finger, only to be reminded of the bigger picture. She was awake and in the real life now, the life that required her to push Ashton aside. The life where her mere existence meant more than she could imagine. Even without the slightest intentions, she was dangerous.

She got up from the comfort of her bed and walked barefoot across the hall to the washroom. The water ran from the faucet as she brushed her pearly whites. The phone rang from the other room, Madison quickly rinsing her mouth and jogging over to grab it. Without so much as a glance on her screen, she swiped across to answer the call.

"Hello?"
"How's my patient?" The man at the other end of the line chirped happily causing a chuckle to leave her lips.
"Hey Doc," she passed the phone, keeping it in between her shoulder and neck, "doing fine thanks to you."
"So, how's the cut?" He asked casually, "Have the bruises faded?"
"A little bit," She responded while evaluating the purple patch in the washroom mirror. "It doesn't hurt either."
"That's good," He pursed his lips, nodding at the other side of the call. A comforting silence filled their conversation for a near minute, Andrew leaning on the edge of a wall, contemplating what to say.
"Listen," he bit his lower lip, "do you want to hang out tomorrow?"
A smile spread out onto her lips as she responded, "Sure."
"Great," he chirped once again, "see you tomorrow."
"See you."

After the brunette had hung up her phone, it began to buzz, an indication she had just received a message. She lifted her phone off of the counter she had placed it on, furrowing her eyebrows at the number attached to the message. The number was not included in her contacts, nor was it familiar to her gray eyes. It took her a moment to realize just who had messaged her and when she did, she responded instantly to the man. John Smith had received her voice message yesterday and contacted her back. He did not call her as she had requested him to do, but she shrugged as she reasoned with his busy life style, especially now that his campaign was ending and the election was creeping up. Even with the busy schedule, he was able to recognize the importance of Madison's call and requested to meet him at a café nearby to discuss the information she had to offer.

This was it, she thought to herself.

At eleven thirty two, she did so little as to apply mascara out of anxiety. For once, the beauty had thrown on a pair of casual blue jeans and a plain white top. She hopped out of her apartment in a rush, earning questioning glares from the elderly woman who lived across the hall. It was not often that she had seen her neighbor as she would usually stay inside her home during the day. Madison had never really learned the name of the elderly woman who had lived there, nor did she feel the need to know. The two women exchanged short glances before rubbing elbows in the narrow hall of the building. Wonder where she's off to, the woman muttered under her breath as she held tightly onto her wooden cane.

Madison walked out of the building to see the bright blue sky laid out above her. Rather than pulling out her wallet to call over a cab, she swung her bag over her shoulder and decided to walk to the meeting place. The café was conveniently close to her apartment, perfect for her to walk on a day like this. Madison was all the more familiar with the café she was headed to. She was once a regular customer at the café, but as the coffee-loving Danika. She had even worked there for a moment while she was still in the custody of her aunt and uncle. Maybe her cute coworker would still be there, she thought to herself. Maybe he would recognize her.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she felt the buzzing of her phone. Another message from John Smith was sent and received from Madison's phone. She opened it up only to find out that he could not make it to the café. He had been met with a car issue and requested her to follow him to a park a few blocks from where his car stood. Being quick to respond, she assured him that she would be there. She spun her feet into another direction and began walking. She didn't quite consider the location a park, it was more of an empty field by the river. Few kids came to play there during the day but it did serve as a quiet place to run to when you need some time alone. The street was almost empty where she was headed, silent if not for the slight breeze rustling through the trees. Madison began to wonder how Mr.Smith had ended up in such a place or where his car was placed. It was a small town blocks away from the secluded field, cabs were almost scarce in the area. Surely, Madison would have a difficult time going back home.

When her feet had finally touched the long, green straws of grass, she stood patiently watching her surroundings. Not a figure stood in the park, not one beside her's. Her eyes scanned the perimeter, desperate to find at least a shadow in the far distance. Nothing. She was alone in the empty field wondering if her mind had been fooling her for she swore she was hearing the faint sound of wheels rolling against the rough ground. Maybe it was Mr. Smith, she suggested to herself as she scratched the back of her neck. Her phone buzzed once again before she could turn to the direction of the sound. Her head tilted down as her eyes read the message displayed on her screen.

I'm sorry but John Smith cannot attend his appointment with you,

She furrowed her eyebrows at the message.

but not to worry Ms.Williams, for I am here to deal with you.

Her eyes widened at the sight and before she knew it, a cloth was held against her mouth before she was thrown into a black van. The cloth was dampened by a colorless liquid and reeked of an ether-like odor, chloroform. A tall, lean figure tossed her into the back of the van at ease before placing himself next to her. He looked down at the brunette with a smirk, knowing that this was the first time he had seen her in a proper light. She was a beauty, he could easily see that now that they weren't in a dark alley. She was a beauty that would go to waste because he knew without a doubt, she would not live to see tomorrow. He slid the sleeve off her shoulder, examining the bare skin that laid below her neck. He chuckled slightly as he ran his fingers over the cut across her collarbone, knowing well that he was the one who had left it there. Hell, he could have done more than that shallow cut if some pest didn't interfere. His thoughts were interrupted as a phone began ringing from his pocket.

"Hello," His husky voice answered.
"Did you do the job? Is she there with you?"
His dark eyes turned to the brunette, whose head was currently laid onto his lap. "Affirmative sir. We have the girl in the van with us."
"Good," he smiled at the other end of the phone, "good."
"What should we do with her now Mr. Anderson?"

"Keep her at the storage place. Tie her up well and do whatever the hell you want to do but keep her alive,"
he said in a low voice,
"but I want to be there when you shoot a bullet through her skull."