Chapter 4

~Madison Williams~

I looked at him with wide eyes as I let his words sink into my head. He stood at my side, wrapping his arm tightly around my waist as he glared at the blond I had previously flirted with. His hazel eyes stared at him with an expression I could not identify with a lengthy observation. He just simply held me as if he were a protective boyfriend.

Girlfriend? What was he saying?

"Oh." The blonde said awkwardly, "Sorry bro, I had no idea."
"No wait-" I attempted to explain but he walked off to his table where he was served by another waitress; Katrina. I turned back to look at Ashton. He was seemingly satisfied, despite seeing how pissed I was feeling towards him. I released myself from him as I rolled my eyes.
"Why would you do that?" I asked him, unhesitant to express my resentment.
"I was just doing you a favor." He said simply, ignoring my anger completely.
"A favor? You call that a favor?" I whispered, knowing that all eyes were on me.
He nodded. "Yes, I do. I'm doing you a favor by not letting you throw your life away."
I chuckled. "What life is there for me to throw away? I already threw away my chances of a so-called 'good life' so what do I have left to lose?"
He frowned. "You might not believe me but, a lot."
"Like what?" I asked, "I'm a 21 year old slut earning a living as a cocktail waitress."
He didn't speak a word, not that I was going to let him.
"I parade around in skimpy clothing by day and find myself in bed with a stranger by night. I'm a dropout abandoned by everyone she even knew. So tell me Ashton, how are you going to help me when there's nothing you can do?"
He remained silent and I stormed out of the club ignoring all of my surroundings. He didn't understand. He couldn't understand.

***

I opened the door to my bedroom before I lifted the mattress to get the little baby blue booklet I had hiding under there. I opened it and flipped through the pictures. I know I shouldn't be but I couldn't help but keep it. I know that they've moved on and they're happy with me out of their lives but as much as I hate to admit it, I can't let go.

I laid down in bed; staring up at my ceiling. There were moments where I'd find myself staring into space with my mind completely blank. This time, strangely, my mind wandered back to Ashton.