Untitled Part 28

~Madison Williams~

Weeks have passed by since Uncle Johnathan's death. It's been a while but I've managed to say my farewell even though it was hard to accept.

"He's in the lead by a near fifty percent." Kira announced as she slid the newspaper across my side of the table.

"He doesn't deserve to be the mayor." I said under my breath. "I'd never vote for him."

"Neither would I." She agreed.

I sat in silence, my face weighed down into a frown. Kira looked at me with concern but I didn't look into her eyes.

"How are you taking it?" She spoke softly.

I shrugged, "I don't know how I feel about being the last person spoken to before death."

She nodded, "I felt just the same when my mom died but just because I was the last one she spoke to, doesn't mean that it's my fault and it's not yours either."

"We don't know that." I shifted my eyes towards her direction. "We don't know that I'm the reason he died. He and Aunt Whitney."

She sighed, "Okay Madison. Say, hypothetically, they were killed because of you, what would the reason be?"

"I don't know Kira," I ran my fingers through my hair, "I just know something's wrong."

"I think you're just in denial. Maybe we should just talk about something else, how are you and Ashton?"

"Well, we're great. Ashton's been trying to convince me into coming to his new gig tomorrow. He said this girl got him a really good gig but he won't tell me where it is."

She furrowed her eyebrows, "Why don't you want to go? Don't you want to support Ashton's band like a good girlfriend?"

"Of course I do."

"Then?" She questioned, "you don't want other girls to be flirting around your boyfriend, do you?"

"Of course not," I huffed, "it's just that I don't feel like going out anywhere lately. You should know; you had to basically drag me out of my apartment to be here."

"But Madison, it's not good to mope around you know. You should go out and have some fun. It'll be easier to move on that way."

I nodded, "Fine but I'm not promising anything."

She chuckled, "Good enough for me."

"You coming to the gig?!" Ashton repeated in excitement.

"Yes, Ashton. I'm coming to your gig. Now can you tell me where exactly are we heading to?"

"Well, it wouldn't be a surprise if I told you, would it?"

"Well, no but-"

"Just wait. Trust me, it's great. The boys and I are so hyped to perform for him tomorrow night."

"So you must be really thankful that girl got you that gig, huh?"

He nodded, "I'm so glad that I met her. This might be the biggest accomplishment for 5sos and we wouldn't have gotten it if it weren't for her."

I rolled my eyes, "Great for her." I muttered under my breath.

Ashton was unfazed and probably didn't notice as he spoke in the same cheerful voice. "I can't wait for you to meet her. I'm sure you guys will get along."