Chapter 24 Get up!

Camilo P.O.V
My pulse was racing as I faced the man that haunted my childhood. I breathed in to calm myself.
In..... Out.....In.....Out...In...Out.....
I gained the courage to look into his eyes, which reflected my own. His brown hair was curlier than I remembered, and he had grown out his facial hair. He was actually here, this was actually happening. The monster that I had thought was finally gone, and out of my life for good was back, and it made my blood catch fire.

He waited for me to speak. My features twisted, accurately portraying my feelings.

Gulping, I clenched my teeth."What are you doing here?"

My voice was steely and cold. My glare was hard.

He didn't speak and I felt my short nails dig into my palm.
"What. Are. You. Doing here?"

More silence filled the dorm. I waited, we all waited for him to speak.

He took a step towards me, and I stood my ground. I didn't step back like I would have when I was younger.

"I came for you, " he told me.

Suppressing the urge to scoff at the ridiculous statement, I interrupted him."I don't give a shit if you came for me. You need to leave."

"I came to apologize." His expression was soft.

If I hadn't truly known him, I would have thought he was sincere. But, I did know him. I knew him and I knew what type of sinister creature he truly was.

He had made my mother's and my sister's life an endless series of frightening nightmares. If he actually believed that I would ever forgive him for that, then I was seriously concerned about his mental health. There was no way that I could or would forgive him. I'd rather be struck down by lightning or be captured by the Grounders again, then forgive this man.

I heard a small whisper come from behind me, and suddenly a shout.

"You son of a bitch!" Max exclaimed pouncing on the man. She threw a quick punch, accurately landing it on his jaw. The man, John, stumbled back. In an instant his fists were clenched and his features twisted in rage.

John swung his fist aiming for Max, but he wasn't quick enough. Max dodged and grabbed a hold of his arm, twisting it behind his back. He grunted and shoved Max back into the wall, causing her to lose her grip on him. John went to attack her, but I wouldn't let him hurt someone else I cared about. I raced in front of him just in time to catch his wrist. Fang had the same idea and went to attack John, knocking him down with a swift kick to the side. John grunted as he fell to the floor.

He looked up at me, hatred in his eyes." You ungrateful bastard. I'm your father."

I shook my head."No, I don't have a father."

He glared at me pushing himself to his feet.

"Or a mother either," he snarled.

My teeth were clenched together so tightly that my jaw was sore. My eyebrows drew together in anger.

"What did you just say?" I barked, feeling my rage build up as heat crawled up my skin.

John stepped closer to me, trying to overpower me with his height, like he used to before he left. It didn't work though, I was taller than him now.

"I said, you don't have a mother," he told me."She's dead, she's dead because you weren't man enough to take care of her."

My breathing quickened, and my face scrunched up. "It wasn't my fault." I began to clench and unclench my fists, fighting the urge to break his nose.