Eight

She watched with pride as the mighty beast plummeted from the morning sky. Its cry pleased her. At last the Night Fury and its rider were caught,now all she had to do was catch up to them before they could even escape. No one knew about her plan other than her mentor. He volunteered to come with her just in case things got out of hand. She declined his help for she wanted to cut both the traitor and the monster down. She'll take the boy's head and the beast's heart.

The young shield-maiden journeyed into the forest,following the trail of broken trees. Then she spotted it. A creature with scales black as night, slender body,wide wings. She had to admit it was a magnificent beast,but even beautiful creatures are deadly. Gripping her prized axe, she crept towards it. It's body rises and falls,still alive.But not for long. Once near its heart, she rises her axe letting it glisten in the sun light.

Roar~

An inhumanly roar rushes towards her. The young girl is tackled to the ground. Once again it was the failer of a human. She looks up into his eyes only to gasp in shock. His eyes where no longer of the peace seeker. Those forest green eyes were like trees swaying dangerously in a raging storm. He was no longer the boy she knew. No, he became the breast he was raised to be.
She struggles to get free from his strong grasp. She knees him as she gets in fighting position. He is on the ground on all fours, circling, in between her and the beast.He's protecting it. Typical.

She grips her weapon, shifts her body abd charges. With a swift motion, the axe flies out her hands into a near by tree. WHAT! She didn't even see him move.

"You were holding back the whole time!" She growls only to be growled back.

The young shield-maiden was outraged by this. Had she been weak the whole time? Did he knew she was no match for him? No, she will not let this phase her,she will have his head.

With a fierce battle cry, she charged head on.
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
All went blank when Astrid woke up to find herself in her bed with bandages wrapped around her head and limbs. They were covered in dry blood. Most of her small cuts were healing.

"What happened?" She asked herself.

"You're awake." She hears her foster father sigh in relief.

"How'd I get here?"

"You tell me. We found you at entrenched of Ravens Peak. You had grave injuries. What happened out there?"

Should I tell him? If I do, everyone will either think I'm crazy and lying or, will go after my prey. Not risking the chances,she lied saying she fell and passed out on the way home. Her adoptive parent had his suspicions but didn't go no further.

The next day, Astrid went back to the woods. The dragon and Night were gone. But she had this felling they weren't far. Both were injured and would need a place to rest. As she searched, she saw a little cove that hid itself from the forest above. It was peaceful,beautiful,a perfect hiding place.

By her feet she are little thin black plates. As she examines them something else catches her eyes. In the water was a bare figure, their back was turned but even from the distance you could see it was indeed Night. His back was caked with deep scars that both new and old. He dips himself in the cool liquid and emerges back to the surface. Once clean he exits the water to a small boulder where his shirt was lazily placed.

Crash splash.

The night fury falls to the water. He scowls itself as it climbs out the water. It positions itself by the boy as it lays on the warm grass.Night stands and begins to search the reptiles body.From head to toe he found nothing. Then he found a horrible sight. The tail. One of the fins were missing.

"The wings and the tails you want." Astrid recalls the blacksmith telling her and the other students."A down dragon is a dead dragon. "

This was perfect! They are trapped on the island. As long as no one knows of their location she will be able to take them down.

"Soon." She grins as leaves the cove. "Soon."