Twelve

Night(Hiccup)

I could hear their cries. The pain that they beg to cease. Toothless could hear it as well. He wants to find those pleads as much as I do. I fought with my inner thoughts on weather to wait until my brother and I were able to fly again. Or help them now before it was too late.

Once the sun rests I get ready to head info the village.

Are you sure? Brother asks.

Yeah, we don't know how long they'll last nor when we'll be able to leave. I replied. I'll be back.

Heading into the forest and out to the edge of the village. The streets were quiet but I know that there are a few guards tonight. The dragons won't come tonight for her majesty is still full since the last raid. Yet it will be a matter of time before they'll come back.

Creeping through the shadows, I follow the silent wails to a arena. This is not the first time I've ever seen one nor will forget what I've witnessed.
......................................................
It was a few years ago in the middle of winter. Toothless and I were flying through the clouded sky that was slowly greying. A storm of frost was forming. We needed to find a spot to rest for the night before returning to the nest.

I spot a island, at first one would think it was abandoned with no man or dragon in site. At the time that didn't matter. Every dragon knows flying in a snow storm is suicide,especially if you were a young dragon like Toothless. Sure he was strong and a greet flyer, but everyone has their limits.
As we were about to land,a chill runs down my spine. No,it wasn't from the winters air,no it was like as if someone or something was watching us.

Be alert Night.

Toothless' ears twitch at the noises that mine werent unable to reach at the time. Hopping off my brothers back I searched for a resting spot. The air was getting colder as the wind picked up. Momentarily I found a cave,it wasn't as big ours back at the nest but it was durable. I cuddled up to Toothless under his wing and let his warmth rock my to sleep.

Skwalk!

A cry echoed the air along with howling of the storm. Both me and my brother were up on our toes, sword and teeth bared. Outside was nothing more than blankets of white and becoming blind by the rush of ice flowing through the air.

Leave this place! A voice demanded.

It came from further in the forest. A dragon.
It sounded like it was in agonizing pain. Out of instinct we both rush towards it.

Leave, don't come!

Ecape while you still have the chance!

With each warning, its voice begins to crack,becoming weak. We come up to a metal dome with spikes. A small whiff of the air around it made my stomach cringe, my throat filling up with bile. The smell of decaying flesh,the metallic taste of blood and ash.

I got a bad feeling about this. I told my brother who nodded in agreement.

There was a open an opening to the dome which made our suspicion grow. We cautiously enter when the chills come back and the bile returning into my throat. The sight of the piles of discarded limbs of dragons,man and other unidentified pieces of flesh surrounded us.

Toothless was by my side in an instant when a figure moves within the pile.

I slowly approach it with my sword drawn in my firmly but shaking hands. Once near it I got a glimpse of the creature.

Tears threatened to form in my eyes to see a young Nadder hatchling. It's wings were ripped from his body,the spikes were no where to be seen. He was cut,deeply, in his vile areas. It was amazing that he was still alive but barely.

Leave,they'll kill you is you stay any longer.

Who?

SLAM!

The door suddenly slams tightly revealing a group of blood thirst men. Weapons, armor and scars caked their bodies. They reeked of dragon's blood some even from their own kind.

"I told ya,"One says in a drunken slur." The lad is Night Rider. There is no one else who rides the unholy offspring."

Toothless growls while circling himself around me. It was like this everywhere we went. True,no one but me has ever ridden a dragon, but it is sought as betrayal, a disgrace to man. Many seek to fight me, to kill me to prove that they are superior.

That was the least of my worries. It was the men who killed these innocent creatures. I was angry, no,out raged deep within my very being.

Why? What have they done? Why such treatment? Killing them for sport,fame, selfishness.
.
.
.
Enough.

My rage over took my being. All I could recall were the pleads for me to stop. Begging me for mercy. They didn't deserve it. They got what was coming to them. It was only fair.
.
.
When I come to. I am surrounded by those who took the innocents lives away. Blood covered my being from head to toe. My sword's blade dripped with crimson liquid.

Thank you.... says the young one with its final breath.

My breath hitches, my body trembled,my heat ached.

I screamed.

Tears were not present but my heart was pouring out with mixed emotions. It begged for this all to end. It wished none of this ever happened. It was relieved that no one would suffer from those men again. It regretted killing at all.

The next morning Toothless and I left the dreaded island but with out finishing the job. With enough wood and flames,we made sure the island burned,leaving no trace of pain behind.
........................................................

With a steady breath,I slip through the bars and leap down to the arena. It was well organized but it still left signs of a struggling past. The scent of blood was faint but still present. There are five cages that held captured dragons. Making sure no one was in site,I approach the first cage. Gripping the board,I then pull on the door slightly and slip in.

It was dark,almost empty, but I could feel eyes glaring into my soul.

Who are you...human? The dragon growls,both with anger and fear.

Dropping my weapons I kneel to the cool floor.

I am Night. I came to help you.

Images of the incident years ago flashes through my mind.

I will set you free...I promise.