Eighteen

Toothless

I cover my ears while brother's cries echo throughout the nest. I know he is trying to be strong,to set an example,but the pain,the punishment demanded it. I wanted to go out there to save him from such harm but I couldn't, or he'll be disposed of if I did.

We have just arrived not to long ago from the village, the queen demanded Night to taken away to be punished. What type of punishment, I do not know for each punishment is different every time Night displeases her majesty.

Mother Nadder is by my side through the whole ordeal, using her weary wing to cover me. All the dragons had sadness in their eyes along with fear. Night is extremely dear to us,losing him means it will be end of us. I don't know what I'd do without him. How will I live on if I lose yet another closest to my heart?

The cries stop finally after a few hours that felt like an eternity. I hurry into the torture cave to find a horrible sight. There lays my brother in a puddle of blood, the scent of burning flesh fills my nose. His back has deep gash with claw marks no doubt of a Nightmare had to do this job while lit.

Said Nightmare hids himself in a dark corner in tears. He was a father and husband of new born hatchlings. I then knew he was threatened to do this or he would've lost his family.

I'm sorry...I'm so so sorry...Fury...Night...so sorry...

Night looks up weakly with a weery smile trying to hid his pain.

Its okay...I'm alright ...

He was clearly no where near okay. Normally Night would be nursing his own wounds but in his current state, the wound will slowly turn into something far worse.

We need to get him to a healer, soon.

Astrid

Its has been a few days since the raid and Night's escape. Those dragons really needed him huh? Like we need a chief, they needed a leader be it man or beast.

"I had no idea a human could let his voice reach such heights to sound like that!" Fishlegs rants.

Everyone couldn't get that song out of their heads. Truly it was amazing. Then again he was raised by dragons it only natural yet unnatural.

Snoutlout huffed out an irritated groan. He is still a bit sour about his defeat with Night. The twins wouldn't stop teasing him about it. I have to admit it is kind of funny. Snoutlout tries to act tough but really since is to be our future chief,he wants to be well known for being the greatest out of all the chiefs of the Hooligan tribe.

"Okay we get it Fishlegs now stop yappin' and get back to work." Says Gobber.

The village is still in need of repair which means no goofing off. We gather up what is needed for the houses and deliver them to the builders. While doing this I couldn't help but wonder what Night was up to.

I don't get it,I want to kill that guy until I almost died, which in result got a message from my decreased parents saying to stop fighting dragons. I love my parents in result I follow their every wish. But that request is beyond me.

I sigh out loud. But Night did say that he wanted nothing more for this war to end. They only raid to survive.

"NIGHT FURY!"

Again? I look up to see a ball of black coming at us in such speed. He seemed to be in a hurry. As he slows down to land, the Chief and his wife run up to it. I follow close behind to find shocking sight.

Night Rider,was half dead. Or so he seemed. He was bleeding rivers of blood,his skin was white as snow, he looked like a weakling.

The dragon hovers over him prospectively while scanning the crowd of anger Vikings. He spots Gothi, and signals her to come over. His eyes plea for help.

"Go to him,please Gothi." This shocked us to hear our chief beg to save his enemy. Valka too pleaded as tears begin to form.

Gothi signals the beast to follow her to a hut while instructing Valka to get her supplies. The crowd was eager to know why the two wanted his life spared after all these years of trying to kill him.

What Stoick tells to us is unbelievable. "Night Rider is my son. "

"Aha! That is why the lad seemed so familiar!" Exclaims Gobber.

I had to admit, Night does resemble Valka more than he does the chief.

The cries of Night brings everyone back to reality. I was surprised to hear such a noise come out of his mouth. You'd think he'd be used to such pain but seeing how the dragon reacted to his brothers cries, this is the first.

Valka

To hear my son in such pain breaks my heart to many pieces. I watch as Gothi clears each wound. Stoick and Gobber has to hold him down as he thrashes around in the wooden table. His eyes are open but he seems to be blinded with pain. After all these years, I dreamed of helping my son with his struggles but this,this is far from what I ever imagined.

The Night Fury inches close to him,pressing there heads together. This seemed to calm him down. The creature grunts and snorts which caused my son to chuckle. The two continue their strange conversation throughout the whole operation.

Why couldn't I do anything. He's my son yet I couldn't even go to him.Clearly these two have a much greater bond then I'll ever have with him.

Once patched up,Hiccup lifts himself from the table with a groan.

"Thank you. "He says. Gothi nods and writes in the dirt implying that he should rest.

"I am afraid I cannot do that. "He says.

"But you must!" I said. "You'll strain yourself in this condition!"

"A sacrifice I can live with. I must be going,I've wasted too much time here as it is."

"What can be so important than your health?" Stoick asks.

Hiccup looks up at his father confused." And why would any of you here care? It is obvious you want me dead. Yet today you treat me as your own,why is that?"

"You are my son! Our son! "I corrected.

The Night Fury growls at us as we explain what happened on the evening we,I, lost him. I even identified the scar that Sat on his chin. It was just as old as the many that engrave his body.

"Even if you are my biological patents and this village is my birth place, I can not stay. "My heart feels as if it were being shackled down to the deepest depts of the ocean.

"My family is the dragons, my home is the nest. I can not, would not leave them. Not now not ever." The dragon purrs by his side.

"At least tell us what happened to you." Stoick says more like demands in a fatherly manner.

Hiccup looks hesitant to speak. He turns to the Night Fury. He speaks in dragon tongue. Both seem to be in deep conversation,very serious.

"You sure?" The dragon nods." Alright then..."

He sighs a deep breath and tells us why they raid our village in the first place and they don't.

"Our queen is as ruthless than a human ruler. She demands that we raid for food. We'd gladly leave but her control is too powerful for us to break. We are her servants,warriors and meals if we displeas her.This is my punishment for staying away fir so long. Toothless, he already had his punishment by seeing me in such a state.

As for you trying to find our nest, you'll never find or without a dragon. They don't call it a "Dragon Nest" for nothing. But,there is a way to stop all of this, that is if you're willing?"

Some objected to this saying he was pulling us into a trap. Others were willing to follow. Even so it was my husband's call. After deep in thought, Stoick says "What do you suggest? "

Hiccup grins "Something crazy."