Deeper In

The strange feelings that Toshiro felt didn't go away by the time he got home from classes that day. He told Kurosaki Karin that he had to go home and finish his homework. The girl didn't argue with him when he said this. Something inside him wished that she had invited him to come play soccer with her and some other kids. Why he didn't understand.

He dropped his backpack onto the ground next to the coffee table before sitting down on the floor to begin his homework. Everything of course was quickly finished and he found himself leaning against the couch and staring at the ceiling in boredom. He felt a buzzing in his pocket and reached down to grab his phone.

"Hello?"

"Toshiro. I was wondering if you'd finished your homework?" The familiar voice came over the line.

"Have you finished yours?" Toshiro sat up straight as he found himself happy to be talking to her despite the fact he still felt this wasn't the real world. That of course bothered him.

"I'm going to finish when my brother gets home from work."

"You know I could help you with your homework." Two teal eyes blinked in surprise as his voice sounded excited. "Why am I doing this? I am not normally this sociable with people. This included the real Karin. Am I becoming more and more used to this illusion. I don't want to give in and say this world is real."

"I know you can. It's the one way I get to spend with Ichi-nii." Karin let out a laugh.

"I wonder how much time his sisters get to spend with him with his shinigami duties." This only caused Toshiro to slap his forehead. "Why did my mind have to go to the idea that I made up Ichigo's duties in relation to him being busy in this world and unable to spend time with his sisters? It is Aizen who is making stuff up."

"Anyways... did you get that game you said you were going to get?" The female preteen commented only to have Toshiro give her a baffled response. She told him the name of the game then. "You promised you would get a copy so that we could play it together once you got out over the connection link."

Toshiro remained silent and then finally spoke up. "Do I have a game system?"

More awkward silence occurred. "Your game systems are kept under the television." There was another pause. "Are you all right Toshiro? That isn't something a person normally forgets is it."

"No... it isn't." The boy opened up the doors on the storage area below the television and then stared at the system in utter confusion. "How am I supposed to use this?"

"Toshiro! You know how those game systems work! We've played them so many times when we weren't able to go outside and play!" There was another period of awkward silence. "Is there something you aren't telling me?"

The preteen male remained silent for a few minutes then spoke up. "I had some nasty seizures while you were sick."

"And..."

"There are a lot of things I don't remember." Soon after Toshiro told her this she began to walk him through the process of setting up the system.

"Do you remember what your mother looks like?" The question caused the boy to pause in what he was doing.

Sitting back on his legs he spoke up truthfully. "I don't remember the fact Aizen is my father and Soifon is my aunt. I only remember... the stories I supposedly made up. I've tried disproving that this world isn't real but he's got everything put together so well it is hard to do so."

"Or you are faced with the fact that this world is actually real." There seemed to be a hopeful tone in Karin's voice.

The setting up process continued as Toshiro thought about how he enjoyed being able to do stuff with people his physical age. His hand reached for the television controller and turned the set on. As soon as he did he saw that the news was on. His two teal eyes suddenly went wide as he saw what was being said on the news.

"One of the prominent figures in our town is Aizen Sosuke. He has a young son named Hitsugaya Toshiro. An unnamed source tells us that Hitsugaya Toshiro was in the hospital this last week because he tried to commit suicide."

The video feed then switched to someone they were interviewing. "I am not surprised that child is like that. I've met the mother and I have honestly wondered how much a charming young man ended up with a woman like that. She had some mental problems that never were addressed."

The channel changed only to get to another news station with similar coverage. The preteen then shut it off and spoke to his female friend. "Are they even allowed to report this kind of stuff in the news?"

"What kind of stuff?" Karin asked.

"The fact I tried to kill myself is all over. I don't know who went and told them but... I didn't think this kind of thing was news worthy." Toshiro let out a deep sigh.

"It is news worthy because of whose son you are." His friend's tone suddenly become strained. "Toshiro... why did you try to kill yourself. You said that you would tell me."

"I honestly believe that Aizen created this world to cause me to give him information about the other shinigami." The boy stated as his body tensed up.

"It has nothing to do with hating this world and wanting to escape from the stuff people were saying about you?" Karin then spoke up. "I don't want you to die. You're my best friend you know."

The white haired child found his cheeks suddenly flaring up with a slight blush. "You've got plenty of friends though."

"I know that I have plenty of friends but that doesn't change the fact you're my best friend." She then asked a question. "Toshiro... if this world isn't real does that mean you don't want to have anything to do with me?"

"No!" The boy made an irritated sound as if he felt that Aizen had gotten him into another trap. He buried his head knowing full well that Aizen might try and use what he said against him. "You're my best friend too. You're my only friend really."

"That's good to know!"

"Yeah... I am quite sure Aizen wants this little piece of information."