Deep and Dark

Nanao found herself confounded by the fact they had ended up below the surface of Los Noces. The place was a huge cavern and she found herself looking around wondering how they would find their way to an exit. Letting out a deep sigh, she found herself being the first person to stand and dust herself off.

The entire place was engulfed in a heavy feeling, almost as if something with great power constantly came though there at some point or another. She knew to be on her guard. However, everyone else seemed to simply be shaking their heads and regaining their composure. It was also noted that Orihime and Rukia were missing.

"Just our luck. It will take us longer to get Hitsugaya Taicho out of here." Nanao stated.

"Can I ask you something?" The substitute shinigami piped up and she found him staring straight at her.

"I'm not sure if this is the best time for questions, but if it is relevant to our circumstances feel free to ask." The woman found herself scooping Nel into her arms and the small Arrancar crawled onto her shoulder.

"Why did you come to rescue Toshiro?" Ichigo asked, his expression not changing.

"Excuse me?" Nanao blinked a couple of times.

"I mean... I get why Renji and Rukia came as well as the others here." The shinigami began to scratch his head.

"How is that relevant to our current situation?" The female fukutaicho shook her head in disbelief.

"Isn't the current situation about rescuing Toshiro? I was just wondering what you're reasons are. You're one of the shinigami I haven't had the chance to meet, so I don't know the reason." Ichigo piped up.

"When she was referring to current situation she was referring to the fact we have to get out of here Kurosaki." The Quincy pushed the thin Arrancar off himself before sitting in a cross legged position.

"Still. I don't understand why you've come on this mission and are risking so much. It is rather obvious the old man is going to be pissed at you, Rukia and Renji leaving to save Toshiro despite the fact he said otherwise."

"How is that relevant to what is going on?" Nanao shook her head.

"Except I'm also curious as to why you're going after Hitsugaya Taicho." Renji spoke up. "Can fatso get off my back already?"

Nanao found herself going over and pulling the rather large Arrancar off. "You haven't exactly given your reasons Abarai Fukutaicho."

"Rukia's likely going because she knows Ichigo is going to need help. I'm going because I know Ichigo will need help. However, I've known Hitsugaya Taicho since he entered the shinigami academy and I heard an earful for five years from Hinamori Momo about her kid brother and how obnoxious he was. Honestly, while he is annoying he isn't anywhere near as annoying as she made him out to be. And ther are other reasons."

"What about you lady?" Nel suddenly piped up, a big smile on her face.

"I'm not going to mention my reasons as they deal with a private matter between Hitsugaya Taicho and someone else I know." Nanao sighed, pushing up her glasses and wrapping her arm around her chest area.

"Sounds suspicious to me." The thin Arrancar stated, a smile on his face.

"How is that suspicious?" Nanao shook her head. "Oh fine. It's a private matter between Hitsugaya Taicho and Matsumoto Fukutaicho. She would be here if she wasn't under house arrest for insubordination and is being watched to the point she wouldn't be able to come and rescue him."

"So this Hitsugaya person is important to this Matsumoto person?" Nel popped up in Nanao's ear again.

"Duh! Hitsugaya Taicho is of the tenth division and Matsumoto is under him." Renji spoke up. "That's why Matsumoto wanted to go after him. Ise is close friends with Rangiku."

"That's not why Matsumoto would want to go after Hitsugaya," Uryu let out a deep sigh. "In case you haven't noticed, that wouldn't be enough for someone to risk rank and more."

"All right. If you're so smart... what is the reason?" The fukutaicho of the sixth grumbled.

"Ran-san and Toshiro are like family to each other." Ichigo stated, glancing around with a hand over his eyes. Out of the corner of his eyes he saw Renji glaring at him. "Am I wrong? I always thought the reason Toshiro put up with her as his fukutaicho was because she's like a mother to him. She's also always a mother hen when it comes to him. You haven't noticed?"

"You noticed that?" Nanao shook her head. "I thought you were too daft to notice. I mean, you're always running into things head first."

"I get that a lot. So how are we getting out of here?" Ichigo stated.

Renji though swung his hands chop style in front of his chest. "Hold it! What is this about Rangiku and the pipsqueak having that kind of relationship? When did that even start?"

"I'd say before he even entered the academy. She's the one who convinced him to go to the academy." Nanao sighed. "Plus, a lot of the higher ups have always been watching out for him. His circumstances weren't usual you know."

"Not usual?" The thin Arrancar that she had yet to find out the name of scratched his rear end.

"Hitsugaya Taicho is a child genius. Youngest through the academy, youngest to achieve Bankai and the youngest to ever hold the rank of a taicho." Renji turned his head first towards the Arrancar, then back at Nanao. "I thought Momo was the reason he joined."

"She likes to think that, yes."

"Wait a second... are you guys saying the shinigami you're going after is a little kid?" The round Arrancar piped up.

"Yeah. Toshiro's physically around the age of my kid siblings." The substitute shinigami piped up. "Do you guys have any idea where we are?"

"The forest of the Grand Menos. It's called that because this is where the Grand Menos are."

"Why couldn't you have told us that sooner!"

Author's note – And now I can move back to Toshiro and company.

Chapter 32: Illusion's Climax