Chapter 28

Claire's POV

"Dad, where's grandma?" I whisper to dad as he lets out a concerned look.

"I know she'll tell us if she went somewhere or anything," He tells me, and I nod in agreement.

"I know right?" I sit back up straight as I think someone important was speaking in front, starting off the event. And I plaster a fake smile and clap my hands, as if I was really listening.

It was quite easy to fake stuff, especially in the palace, but sometimes you really need to listen but I don't think I'll ever be given heavy responsibilities because my grandma is still queen. But where is she?

My grandmother's loss was what I needed to worry. She has half of the decision that I will make tonight, and she needs to be here. And well, because she's the queen and all, and she's my grandma, so I'm worried.

"Now it's time for the princess to meet the suitors," And as if on cue, my heart stopped beating. Oh right, this was the time.

Here I go. I stand up and as if on cue again, everyone claps their hands and the room erupts in cheers. I step out of the small platform to be on the dance floor as the lights grow a bit dim as I face my first suitor.

He looked fine, just didn't meet my standards, which was Harry. He was a blond, with pretty grey eyes that look into your soul with them.

"I'm Prince Edward, delighted to meet you." He bows before me and kisses my knuckles like how Prince Harold did it once before.

Really? Prince Harold and Prince Edward? Really?

I smiled in appreciation as I curtsy before him, also showing respect. And with that, the music begins to play and he holds my one hand and starts to sway to the rhythm of the slow music. He was a great dancer, I could tell really greatly, mainly because I wasn't one, so he had to cover up my mistakes, always muttering 'sorry' everytime I step on his foot. I notice my dad still sitting on his chair as he looked at us dancing, the spotlight following with our movements. Dad was chuckling, maybe because I always committed mistakes and he noticed most of them. It was my fault too, I didn't take dancing lessons.

"You look beautiful tonight," Edward whispers in my ear as we continue to sway in sync with the slow music as we dance.

I just didn't feel it. I didn't feel any spark. There was nothing between us, heck I only met him.

Oh how I wish, I could dance with Harry. I would know sparks when I feel one, that is if I'm with Harry. But he's not, so my wish is never going to come true.

"Thank you, you look very fine yourself." I reply to him, repaying the gratitude as I feel him smile, I didn't know him that much but I didn't have to be snobbish at him. I had to act like a princess, and princesses are always nice. He was nice to me so why not repay the deed?

The three minutes of exchanging compliments and dancing around the room with Prince Edward was finished and he left my sight, only to see another male. He was a brunette, blue eyes.

"Hello, beautiful." He did the same with Prince Edward, he bowed and kissed my knuckles and I curtsy. And that 'beautiful' compliment? They should be more creative with that, I've been hearing that all day, though I always blush whenever I hear that word, because for once, I am beautiful.

We then dance to another slow song, requested by the Prince himself, and he had a taste in music as I recognized the song. It was You Are So Beautiful. Though I didn't recognize that song until I heard the melody, because I wasn't used to listening to these kinds of songs.

I remembered the time I watched the X Factor live shows with Jen, and this was one of the songs Harru and the boys sang. They sang it beautifully, one of the reasons why I've known and grown to love the song. I think I even love their rendition instead of the original. It stooped up the compliment of calling me beautiful to a whole new level and just hearing Harry sing that song on X Factor, even though it wasn't directed to me at the time, I felt his words and it struck me like lightning the first time I saw and heard him sing. I never knew he'd be half of my heart now.