Chapter 22

Thorin's POV

We ran through many halls. The little girl was still wrapped around my body. We came to a bridge crossing. It was quite. "Shhh" I whispered

"The western conference" I whispered

"Its too high" Balin said

"It's our only chance. We have to try." I held onto the little girl tight and slowly walked onto the bridge.

Once we where half way on the bridge a coin fell. I was about ready to snap, but when I found out Smaug was waking above us. I quickly motioned for them to follow. Thankfully we made it into the hall, unnoticed.

---------

We had made it to the room but once we had, nothing could make me happy.

"There's no way out" Dwalin breathed

"The last of our kin, they must have come here hoping to survive." Balin answered, I felt the girl move. She turned to look.

"There dead" she asked or answered I don't know.

"Yes" I answered still unsure.

"Just like mama, she died trying to save" tears started to form in her eyes. I don't know who she was talking about. Laci couldn't be her mother. I rubbed her back softly.

I put her on the ground. "No I will not die like this a cowered, clawing for air." I thought of an idea. "We make for the forges"

"He will see us, we're sure as dead" Dwalin said

"Not if we split up, if this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together."

The little girl walked up to me and grabbed my hand. I bent down to her level.

"You must stay here" I told her "Kili and Fili will watch you. You must stay here until I come and get you" she nodded her head.

-------------

Laci's POV

I was nor alive or dead. I don't even know what I was. Smaug hadn't killed me because he wanted to kill Thorin first.

I knew he was still alive do to the fact that my heart was still beating. His heart was keeping mine a beat.

I heard my name being called in the distance. The sad fact was that I didn't know if it was real or not.

I heard it again, but this time it sounded like my sweet Sapphire. Oh poor Sapphire what would happen to her. Where would she live.

No, stop I can't think like that. I rolled over so I was on my stomach.

"Mama" my ears perked up

"Sapphire" I yelled as loud as I could. But not having much success.

"Mama, mama" she yelled.

I squinted to make you eye sight clearer, but that didn't help at all. The only thing I saw was three figures running towards me. I squinted harder, trying so hard to see who or what they were.

Then I saw it, I saw her Sapphire. I smiled wide as I saw my little girl run here way across the piles of gold.

She finally made her way over to me. Rolling me back over to my back, with everything she had.

"Mama" she whispered, I could tell she was about to cry.

"Hi baby" I whispered to her. I could see her smile. "You don't have to be strong baby"

"I must mama"

"No baby. You don't" all she did was nod.

I finally saw Kili and Fili over us.

"Hi boys" I smiled

"You saved us" Kili started

"You protected us" Fili continued

"But you didn't have too" Kili ended

"I promised to protect you, it was my promise. I haven't broken on yet" I smiled up at them.

I suddenly felt an uneasy feeling in my stomach. I looked from the three.

"Where's Thorin" I asked, trying to get up. Fili and Kili rushed to my side. Pulling me up, I looked around.

"They all went outside, Princess" I looked over to to Gloin. I smiled over at him. Still feeling uneasy. "They went to watch the dragon."

"Dragon, where" I stepped towards him

"He left to destroy Lake-Town"

"I need to get to an opening. Where the sky meets the mountain"

"The gallery of the Kings" Gloin whispered

"Take me" I shouted

"Whoa missy, you cant go anywhere" Fili eased

"You don't understand, Dragon souls. Can not just die. They will try to attach to something maybe even someone" they gave me a dumb look
"Why do you all think my race was created. To take on the souls of dragons. I-If Smaug dies, his soul needs to go somewhere."

"And" Kili urged

"If it attaches to one of you, you will die. We need to get up there"

"This way" Gloin ran up the stairs.

----------------

"Over there, you need to place me in the open. When I'm down you need to hide."

"Mama" I looked up at Sapphire

"I'll be okay, go hide you Fili baby" she gave me a little kiss on the cheek and ran to Fili.

I looked over and saw that they were about a couple yards away from me.

"The god of the dead, Mephistopheles, binds thee to me! The death god has given thee to me, and now he calls thee back!" I whispered, mostly so Sapphire wouldn't here. She didn't need to know this.

I felt my soul calling out for Smaug's. This gonna hurt. I saw a gold mist head towards the opening.

I screamed as Smaug's soul entered my body. It honestly felt like I was being ripped apart.

-----------

Thorin's POV

I was currently looked back at the mountain. Some things was calling me back. I wanted to be with my gold.

The company was talking about Smaug. I smiled when I heard he was dead.

Then a blood curdling scream ripped through the air.

"What was that" someone asked

"Gloin's been missin" I think it was Oin.

Another scream ripped through the air.

"Where's Kili and Fili guys" Bilbo asked.

They stayed with the little girl.

"Laci" Bilbo yelled. Then it all clicked.

She was lying on the gold dying.

"no" I whispered, then started running for Erebor.

With another scream, it went deadly silent. I ran faster to the mountain.

"How could I have left her. Again"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ohhhh noooo

what's gonna happen???

Will Thorin finally tell Laci that he loves her???

Or will the dragon sickness stop him.