Chapter 13

I woke up at 12:31. I couldn't sleep very well on the hard ground. Susan made Jake and I come home after the game instead of going to the party. Not that I wanted to go. I turned on my phone and started playing Dots.

"There is a yellow square right there," someone said in a husky and sexy voice. I jumped straight up and hid my phone.

He chuckled, "you scared Allie?"

"You scared me so bad. I have an irrational fear of the dark you know," I whisper shouted not wanting to walk up Susan or the girls.

"Sorry but you would have beat your high score," he pauses. "Why are you scared of the dark?"

"Oh well I am just scared you know? Like uh out of the dark comes creepy men," I laughed nervously.

"Allie? Come up here." He sat up and patted the bed next to him.

I slowly got up and sat next to him. He leaned over, putting his arm around me. I immediately felt awkward.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

All I do is nod.

"Allison, look at me," he demanded. I did. "You don't have to answer this question if you don't want to but have you been uh sexually assaulted before?"

I barely know him. I just moved in this afternoon. He is already asking me questions that will slowly break down my wall. No. He isn't breaking it down. He's just climbing over it.

I didn't feel like lying and it was too late in the night to make up some lie. "Yeah," I sighed, feeling relived to have finally told someone. Why am I letting him in? At night I would hide in my room, or closet with my baseball bat. I tried locking the doors but the men could always get in if they wanted. I was naked and running before. I'm faster and more athletic than the drunk men so I got away all the time.

"Don't worry you are safe here," he spoke. For some reason that made all of my stress go away. Even for just a little.

•-•-•-•-•

I woke up in Jake's twin bed, next to him, but not touching miraculously.

I stood up and opened my bag up quietly. I put on a black sweatshirt, sports bra and leggings. No shirt. Then my phone rang on the charger.

Call: Vermont State Police

I walked into the bathroom and picked up my phone.

"Hello?" I asked.

"May I speak to Miss Allison Carter please?"

"This is she."

"Hello Allison, Officer Riley has asked to see you today? Would that be at all possible?"

"May I ask what the reason is?" As soon as I said it I feel stupid. How could I forget?

"One second.... It is to discuss an issue with Javier Castellano."

"Oh yes okay. What time should I come?"

"Could you please come to the local police station in Greenwich at 11:30?"

"Yes sounds good. Thank you."

"Thank you." And the the man hung up.

I walked out of the bathroom to see Jake stretching. I plugged my phone in again.

"Morning. Who were you talking to?"

"Oh police, legal stuff. Could you bring me to the station at 11:30?"

"Oh sure yeah."

I sat down on the, not so nice, home made, bed and leaned against his. He looked down at me and just stared. Not glared. Just stared. Why isn't he pushing it?