Comebacks

Matthew's POV

I heard the applause of the school bell ring. I gathered my stuff and walked out of the class room, happily. School was finally over and done for the day. I could finally go home. You know, after waiting two hours for Al to get out of practice. I basically ran out of the school and to the park about a block away. A park really just seems fitting for a group of angsty teens to hang out.

When I got there, I noticed that Lovino and Tino were already there on the swings. How do they always beat me here? It's an honest question. I think it might because I'm lazy and I walk slower. I wouldn't be surprised if that were it.

"Hey guys!" I waved to them. They waved back. "How'd your days go?"

"Terrible." Lovino's award winning sarcasm was his answer. I chuckled a bit. I glanced over to Toni for his response and I found that he was blushing. I gave him a questioning look.

"Uh...s-someone.." He trailed off mumbling the rest.

"What?"

"Someone kissed me." He was quiet but I understood him. I could tell that Lovino did too.

"Really?" Lovino was filled with genuine surprise, a rare sight. What was rarer was Tino getting kissed.

"Who?!" I yelled, startling him enough for him to shake his head and deny me of an answer.

"I'm not saying."

"Okay, okay." It's probably Berwald. He and Berwald are practically inseparable. Hell, the way Berwald looks at him only gives more proof even if it's barely noticeable.

"So, Matthew, how did your day go?" Tino changed the conversation which I understood. Would want to make him uncomfortable. He is my friend after all.
I thought about the entire day for a moment. The day was over all normal expect for that new guy.

"Weird."

"Why?"

"That new guy, I've had a few classes with him. It kinda seems like he's been following me around." The moment next to my locker flashed in my head.

"That damn bastard tried to hit on my brother." Lovino responded angry as ever. "You should stay away from him." He basically demanded.

"I don't know much about him but he seems pretty nice." Tino tried to calm Lovi but failed horribly. Next thing I know, Lovi was flying off the swing.

~

Finally, after an agonizing hour of isolation because Lovi and Tino had to leave, I was home. I'm more than ready to pass out.

Al was staring at me while he shoved a burger in his mouth. I was disgusted but how much he managed in his mouth. Though he seemed to be studying me. 

"What?" I asked as I sat down next to him on the couch.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just tired."

"You can always tell me if anything's wrong." I sighed and looked to the TV. At least it was a good cartoon that was on. A good enough excuse for a distraction. I knew he cared. He told me everyday. I love that he cared but it was slightly irritating when it's a day like this. Just meh.

~

"Dude, why are you such a loser!" Al whined while I just rolled my eyes.

"I'm a loser and proud! And it seems this loser is winning!" I replied with the fullest amount of an ego. He tells me the same thing everyday because I beat him in Smash Bros.. "Also figure out how to make a better comeback." Critiques were apart of that ego.

"Yeah well....your mom!" I pat him on the head and got up to go to my room.

"Keep trying kid-o."

The next day

When I got to school, there was a huge crowd of people outside. Out of pure curiosity, I went to see what was happening. (Like an regular person.)

Al and that new guy—uh-Gilbert, were throwing dumb insults at each other.

"I bet you can't even lift a table!" Gilbert laughed. I honestly couldn't see what he thought was funny. That was just really stupid.

"Yeah well...I could probably lift your mom!" The crowd slightly gasped at Al's response. I sighed knowing I had to break this up. I went into the circle and hit Al in the head. "Ow!" He immediately put his arms up in defense. "What was that for?"

"For being an idiot and not being able to come up with a better comeback." I said. Wait, isn't this ironic or something?

"Rude."

"Sorry, I can't hear you over my free health care." The crowd went wild at my comeback which I don't even know how they heard me. I was only speaking loud enough to Al to hear me. I smirked at Al. He looked down in defeat. "Okay lets go before you're late to class again."

"Alright, alright." With that we went inside. "How do you come up with the those comebacks?" He asked me when I was at my locker.

"Have you met my friends?" I joked in response. "Well I have to get going, see ya!"

That was actually a great start to today. Better than most. I'm guessing it's only going to go down hill from here.