Father-Son Bonding

Matt's POV

The car ride was quiet. Pretty sure me and Dad were just struggling to figure out what to say. There might've been a conversation if Francis hadn't stayed home to look after the house. I'm not entirely sure about that. He wasn't particularly cheerful.

I couldn't help the sigh that escaped me. I've been on trips to the hospital far too many times. I'm starting to think the staff is going to know me. By the time Al gets out, they're going to know my tear-stained puffy face and my stupid red hoodie. Along with Dad's thick eyebrows and angry face. That face more prevalent right now. He looked ready to burst with a big explosion of shouting. It was his way to cope, really. And he couldn't really even bring himself to do that. It really said a lot about the situation.

"How was school?" Dad tiredly asked during a red light. I could see him literally deflate. His arms slipped down on the wheel.

"It was alright."

"That's good." He sighed. "I'm sorry I rarely talk to you."

"Don't be, we know why you can't."

"But look where it got us." He straightened up as the red light turned to green. His foot moved from the break to the accelerator. "I thought bringing Francis over would help us. Make it feel like a real family. But I didn't think it through enough to remember your upbringing."

"Dad, you clearly had good intentions with everything but we're only teenagers. We're not going to understand everything."

"You're right but I still can't understand what the hard part about having trust in me is."

"I trust you."

"Then why don't you tell me about your life when I do see you?"

"Because..." I paused to form my words carefully. It didn't help that this conversation was making me nervous. "There are some things that I really wouldn't want to tell you."

"Like what?" He sounded almost distracted by the fact that he was finally parking in the hospital parking lot.

"I really wouldn't-"

"I had a conversation exactly like this with Alfred." He interrupted me, his eyes meeting mine. I wanted to shrink in that moment. Especially with the fact that I could see the desperation in his expression. "He said the exact same things-Matthew will you please just tell me the truth? It's like I barely know you and it scares me thinking about what might happen to you because I don't know what's going on."

"I..." I swallowed hard. "I skipped half of school today."

"What? Why?" The confusion spread across his face quickly. His eyes shifted as if looking for an answer.

"I got into a fight with Lovino and I was upset so I went to Gilbert for help."

"So, he told you to skip school?"

"Not really, I was the one who insisted-"

"Why Gilbert of all people?"

"I'm not entirely sure how to explain our relationship, really."

"The hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Well, it's a romantic type thing and-"

"Oh my fucking god." He looked forward again, at the wheel this time though. Looking reading to slam himself onto the horn. "Of-fucking-course, that makes too much sense." He was almost laughing. "You couldn't have picked a worse time to tell me this."

"You asked for honesty."

"I know but-god-I thought you were innocent."

"There's not a goddamn person alive that's innocent, Dad."

"I know but I just hoped." His tone switched to something of sadness. "You don't know what it's like being a father wishing that your kids wouldn't ever grow up so they could always be happy."

"You're right, I don't, but I think you've forgotten what it's like to be this confused teenager barely figuring out the world."

"No, I haven't forgotten." He looked back at me. "Because I'm still confused about the world and I'm trying my best to figure it out but that clearly isn't enough!" His voice rose to where he was basically shouting. He was finally letting go.

"Hey," My voice was shaky but I trudged on knowing that he needed it. "You did your best and that's more than enough. You can't know everything but you can at least learn." He softened up, deflating again.

"You still remember that." He basically whispered.

"Because I learned from it."

He sighed, "You are possibly the worst and best son in the world."

~

Al was still asleep when we finally made it to the room. All types of tubing and wires were attached to him. The heart monitor filled the room with rhythmic beeps. He looked so small in the hospital gown they gave him. Even smaller with the things attached to him.

"They said he was lucky to be alive." Dad said as he sat down next to the bed. "Francis found him unconscious on the floor in his room." He swallowed hard and blinked a few times trying to contain himself. "His heart almost stopped."

"Did they tell you when he was going to wake up?"

"In a day or two."

I sighed, "At least, he's alive."

"You're right." He rapidly blinked  in a clear attempt to keep himself from crying. "But it all still confuses me."

"And you're not alone in that." I stepped closer to the bed and grabbed at the railing near Al's thin legs. "I mean, this is my brother, my last standing family..." I trailed off, knowing I was on the verge of tears. There was no way I was going to finish that sentence. I took possibly the biggest breath of my life. "I wish things turned out differently."

"We all do."

"Al, is such an idiot honestly." I awkwardly forced a chuckle.

"He really is." I saw Dad's frown twitch up for a second. "The moment I saw him slip while standing still, was the moment I realized what he was going to be like."

"Didn't you once tell me that that was the second you realized that you wanted to adopt him?"

"It really was."

"I never got why."

"Because I don't even know why. I guess I just thought it was so damn cute."

"Sounds like you were going through a quater life crisis."

"I think I was which is crazy."

"Even worse when you got us."

"Definitely."