attempts

Mattie's POV

I don't think playing the saxophone in the middle of the night is healthy. Didn't really matter much for my household since no one really sleeps here so this was relatively normal. I mean, Al was finally here for once and I could practically feel his music being blasted from his room. Francis and dad are always downstairs talking about whatever with the TV on.

We are just naturally loud people. Except for me but my sax is the exception to that rule. I'm not sure why I felt like playing. Maybe I was just feeling really happy about everything. Happy enough to want to show it.

And, no, I didn't look sheet music for careless whisper-not that anyone really asked. I was really damn close to doing it. I was still looking up sheet music to familiar songs though. My sax laying on my messy bed gracefully shining against the cieling light.

My search was interrupted by Francis walking in. I'll admit, after a week, I'm starting to like him. The house seems livelier with him around. Dad even seems a lot calmer. And dad and Al haven't fought in days.

"Can I talk to you about something?" He asked as we walked closer to me.

"Sure, what is it?"

"Well, it's about you and Gil."

"Yeah? What about us?"

"Toni told me about what happened between you two."

"Where is this going exactly?" I looked at him.

"Were you two safe?"

"Oh my god-are you serious?"

"Yes, it's kind of important."

"I know that." I groaned. "Why would I even think of telling you? It's like I can really remember such a small detail."

"It is no small detail, Matthew."

"Well, it's one I can't really remember. What do you want me to do? Call him and ask him?" I frowned at him. He averted his eyes for a few seconds, watching the floor. He looked back at me.

"...Yes."

"Really."

"Yes, call him right now and ask."

"No way."

"Do it or I will tell Arthur." I froze at that.

"You wouldn't." I said slowly.

"But I would. Now do it."

"You are so childish." I grabbed my phone from my bedside table. "I can't believe you." I mumbled as the dial tone beeped at me.

"Yeah?" I heard but it sounded more like a confused grunt.

"Hey, Gil, I'm being forced to ask you something."

"What is it?" He sounded much more alive and coherent now.

"Did we use a condom?"

"Is it Francy that's forcing you?"

"Yeah."

"Put me on speaker." I did as told and held it out between Francis and I. "Hey, Francy, get out of my sex life." Francis went wide-eyed. "Okay, take me off speaker." I did and brought the phone back to my ear. "So, to answer your question; yes. Somehow."

"Alright thanks. Goodnight."

"Night." He hung up swiftly. I could barely process it actually. I paid more attention to Francis who looked almost nervous. He had that same kind of expression someone would have being caught jerking off. Meaning he was ungodly horrified. "Are you okay?" I found myself asking.