the journey starts

"Bye maa! Bye paa! bye Pia!" I said, one final time,  before boarding the train.

It was very sentimental to leave your family. I, for one, know all about that. Leaving your home town and your family behind to run towards your dreams and achieve them is a very difficult thing. But, I'm proud I'm doing it!

Who am I, you ask?

I am Priya, and I am an actress (in my dreams at least.) One day soon, I'll have my face on GQ's cover and on Vogue's cover. I'll wear gorgeous Manish Malhotra clothes and MAC cosmetics. You'll see!

Returning to the present:
My mom burst into tears and my father had to console her. Crap. Not this again, I hate family dramas.

"Ma! Why are you crying? I will be back in two years na! And its not as if I wont call you ever in these two years!!! I will call you! Everyday!" I said, brightly.

"But beta, what if you will not be alright?" she asked me. "Ma! I will be alright baba. And once I become famous, I will buy you that lovely blue saree you always look at in the mall!' I laughed, seeing her grin sheepishly. 'Yes! I know about it."

She gave me a watery smile and i said, "That's better." I kissed them all on the cheek again and boarded the train. As the train sped away from the platform, I waved to my parents, suddenly not wanting to leave them behind. I would miss them so much. Before tears could accumulate in my eyes, I decided to distract myself. I wondered what my life in Mumbai would be like.

I imagined myself in a beautiful red gown, descending down glass steps. My hair was bouncy on my back. My nails were manicured, and on my feet were the most beautiful pair of red heels. Then in front of me arrived a man, who was dressed in a dashing black and white tuxedo and was very tall.

As I walked towards him, I tripped on my red heels and went crashing into his arms. I gazed into his dazzling brown eyes and saw deep admiration for myself. He leaned in and I also leaned in. We were only 2 centimetres away from each other, one centimetre. 0.5 centimetre. Almost kissing when there was a crash! With a jump, I came back to reality.

The Punjabi uncle in front of me had dropped his suitcase down. I glared at him. He ruined my day dream. It had been such a beautiful dream.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I let out a long breath.

"Sorry puttar ji. (sorry)" the Punjabi uncle told me. "Kuch nahi hua uncle ji (nothing happened uncle.)." I said, smiling. Poor guy, he had to carry such a heavy suitcase. 

"Oye robin! Aake yeh suitcase lejaa oye! (oye robin, come and take this suitcase!)" he screamed and a small boy came running. "Ji paa ji. (yes, father.)" he said and he picked up the suitcase and ran away. "Woh kya hain na puttar, hum na abhi uttarne hi wale hain! (what no, we're just going to get down now.) Aap so jao ji, so jao. (you sleep, sleep.)" he said merrily and he walked towards the exit. I waved at the family as they got down. I love socializing with new people, its always fun to make new friends.

Some two hours later, I arrived at the mumbai station. As I got down and dragged my suitcase from the train, I looked around. There was a porter walking in front of me.

"Bhaiyya! Oh Bhaiyya!" I yelled dragging the suitcase along as I ran to catch up with him. "Kya hain madam?(what is it madam?)" he asked grumpily.

He must have fought with his wife at home. "Biwi ke saath ladke aaye ho kya? (have you fought with your wife and come)" I asked, laughing a little. He smiled at me. "Nahi madam. (no madam.)" he said, still smiling. "Phir kyon asein muh phulaakar khade ho?(then why are you standing so grumpily?) mujhe... Bandra colony ke Cherwada road main Chaudhary mansion me jaana hain.. aaoge? (I have to go to the Chaudhary Mansion in Cherwada road of Bandra colony, will you come?)" I asked, giggling now. he picked up my bags and led me to his taxi. "Baitye madam (sit madam), main aapko chod deta hun.(I will leave you.)" he said and he started the taxi.

I slid down into his taxi and he drove to the main road. "Aap Chaudhary logo ko jaanti hain kya? (you know the chaudharys?)" he asked me. "Haan, woh mere dost ke parivaar waale hain.(yes, they are my friend's family members) kyon?(why?)" I replied. "Aap toh bahut amir hain madam, (you're very rich then) aapko pata hain? unka ek beta hain, Aarush.(do you know, they have a son called Aarush?)" he asked. "Nahin. Mere dost ne mujhe yeh baath nahi bataya. (no. my firned didnt tell me.) Wo toh meri bachpan ki saheli hain (she's my best friend since childhood.) Woh kyun mujhse ye baath chupaayegi? (why will she hide this matter from me?)" I said, a little hurt.

The Chaudhary's daughter, Alia, was my best friend. "Madam, woh bahut bura hain! Usne apne baap ko hi dhokha dekar unka business le liya hain (madam, he's very bad. he has acquired his empire, by betraying his own father and taking over his business). Aapke dost ne yeh aapko nahi bataya? (your friend didnt tell you about him?)" he asked me. I shook my head. suddenly I was determined to meet this fellow, who was the cause for Alia's father's downfall.