Chapter 8

The sound of the phone ringing echoed through the Uchiha household. A young man with long raven locks picked up the phone deftly. 

"Uchiha residence. How may I help you?"

"Itachi we have an emergency." A gruff voice answered back. 

Itachi worked as a detective and officer in the Konoha police station. At the age of 24, he was promoted from trainee to a full out detective and he was the best in his job. Solving many cases and bringing justice to people. 

"The call came at 10.10 from a house. 15/23 Konoha avenue." The voice of his partner, Kisame resonated from the phone.

"Okay. I'll be on my way." Itachi answered back. 

'That address. It sounds familiar.' Itachi thought as he put down the phone and sprinted out of the door, grabbing his coat and gun. Before he could exit, a voice stopped him.

"Itachi? Did the station call you?" The soft voice of his mother asked. Mikoto looked at Itachi and smiled. 

"Yes mother. Don't worry, I'll be back fast." Itachi answered with a smile of his own. 

"I'll inform your father. Head detective is on a break but I know he still would want updates of what is going on." Mikoto grinned. 

Itachi ran up to his car and drove to designated address, all the while feeling senses of nostalgia while driving through the street. Flashes of blue, red and white came into view from afar. Parking against the pavement, he ran up to the scene. 

"Itachi your here. Shall we enter?" Kisame looked at him and said. 

"Yeah. Do you know who exactly called?" Itachi asked. 

"Apparently a young boy. He sounded like he was in dire pain. All what was said was the house address and then it was just silence. " 

"Most probably the victim blacked out. Lets go before we're too late." Itachi said. 

They entered the house, quietly. The assailant could still be lurking around and they didn't want to take any chances. A small group of officers followed behind them. 

"Okay everyone, split up and check every room." The young raven commanded. His partner walked up the stairs to check the next follow. He followed. 

Being on the job, he didn't notice the familiar wall hangings and pictures of his brother and the blonde, hanging on the wall. Nor did he notice the picture of him, Sasuke and Naruto on the small coffee table as he crept quietly. 

In front of him was a slightly ajar door. His senses detected a faint smell of blood. Fearing the victim could already be dead, he pushed the door and what caught his eye, shocked him. 

A tiny, blonde boy lying on the blood-stained white sheets, blood matting his blonde hair and flowing down his ribbed chest. Blue eyes were slightly dilated and small puffs of breath was being emitted. 

Itachi looked down at the victim properly and his eyes widened. 

'Naruto!' 

"Back up! Victim had been found! Call an ambulance stat!" Itachi shouted, looking down at Naruto with shock. 

"Who could do this?" Itachi whispered to himself. He knew this blonde. He was Sasuke's best friend. Itachi could remember him as a small child. 

A smiling, bright and happy child. 

He was the one that could make Sasuke smile so much and the only one that Itachi cared about apart from his family. He used to play and take care of him when ever he came to see Sasuke.  Seeing him in this state brought Itachi in a state of shock. 

'If Sasuke finds out...' Itachi eyes widened at a realisation. 

'Does Sasuke know? Are they even friends now? Naruto doesn't even come to our home anymore. Did something happen?' Different questions ran through Itachi's head. The wailing of the sirens brought his out of his thoughts. Itachi pocketed his gun and gently manoeuvred Naruto into his arms and carried him down the stairs. 

A stretcher was in his view and he laid Naruto down. Naruto was moved into the ambulance and it drove off, the red lights fading every second. 

"Itachi? You okay? What did you see there?" Kisame asked as he saw Itachi's distraught expression. 

"I'm fine. It was just a lot of blood." He answered back, not even looking at Kisame's face. Silently he walked back to his car and drove to his family. 

Driving back, Itachi thought about what he had seen. 

'Those bruises look like they were inflicted months before. Most off all they look like frequent wounds and attacks. His body is way too thin to be healthy, making him malnourished. All signs are pointing to child abuse.'

Itachi's eyes saddened in sympathy and guilt.

'Why didn't you say anything Naruto. Why didn't you come to me or Sasuke. We could have helped.' 

The driveway of his house came into view and he parked in the garage. He entered solemnly into the house and gave an exasperated sigh and he flopped onto the couch. 

"Itachi." A deep voice said. Itachi looked up to see his father looking down at him in hidden concern. 

"What was the emergency?" Mikoto entered, asking

"Mom. Dad. This stays between us. Do not tell Sasuke until I know exactly what happened." Itachi said seriously. 

Mikoto and Fugaku looked at each other for a second and turned to Itachi, nodding. They knew their son was very serious about this issue. It must have been a sensitive topic. 

"It appears that our victim had experienced years of abuse and neglect, most probably by the hands of a family member." 

Fugaku kept  stern and confused face while Mikoto's eyes saddened in sympathy. 

"Okay Itachi, but why should this be kept from Sasuke?" Fugaku asked. 

Itachi sighed and said...

"Our victim was Naruto, father."

Mikoto gasped and her eyes widened. Fugaku mouth opened in surprise. 

All the while from up the stairs, a pair of ears heard everything. 

'Naruto... H-e- wa-s a-b-bus-ed!?'