Chapter 36

Loud murmurings erupted from the outside of his frosted, wooden glass door as the bell rang. The students piled out of their classrooms as they made their way to the cafeteria. Loud, rambunctious shouts and greetings filled the man's ear. The clamber of footsteps amplified as students began running to make use of their break. 

Once everything quietened down, he sat down on his chair and picked up the novel he was teaching, going through the chapters and picking out important information. 

But he couldn't focus. 

The words just looked like it was splayed across the off-white paper, having no meaning... no connection. The sentences to him, made no sense. The quotes he underlined didn't punch him with the effect it used too. 

His mind was just occupied with something else. 

Kakashi sighed, putting the book away and leaning back on his chair. Crossing his arms against his chest, he looked forward and his eyes immediately went to the seat the blonde boy sat in during his lessons. Subconsciously, his eyes converged into softness as he thought the circumstances Naruto had gone through. 

'I need to have a talk with him and Sarutobi for that matter. People know.'

Flashback

Walking down the hallways, Kakashi carried his books in his arms, going to the staff room. Waves of students passed by him, talking animatedly about topics he could care less about. Finally seeing the familiar door, he walked right in and dropped the books on the table and grabbed himself a cup of coffee from the coffee-machine. 

"Ugh, that was a long day. Only one more class and I'm done." Kakashi celebrated. He loved teaching, especially literature and seeing kids interested and keen in his subject was very rewarding but it was tough work too and dealing with the hoards of brats he does, was no easy feat. 

Suddenly, soft whisperings could be heard from outside the door, and his ears perked up when he heard a familiar name being said. Usually Kakashi wasn't a man to give two shits about what people talk about, but this... 

"Yo, you h...rd what h....ned to that blo... guy? Naru.. or som...ing?" 

The black eyes narrowed

"Ye... Heard he go... his ass be...t by Kiba. Speaking abo...t Naruto, apparent... his dad's in ja...l."

"Yeah! There's so...e shit go...ng that he's now liv... with so... other f...ly. Their kid goes to this sc...ol. 

'Shit!' Kakashi's eyes widened. That information wasn't supposed to be known. Nobody was supposed to know! 

The whisperings faded away eventually, the voices to soft for his ears to pick up. 

"Thankfully, they don't know who Naruto's staying with and we have to keep it that way." Kakashi unconsciously said to himself. Looking outside the window pane, he propped his head on his hand and stared. 

'Apparently, everyone's is still the same. They still treat Naruto the same.' The silver-haired man thought, groaning in exasperation. 

'You'd think they would change and mature.'

Laying his head down on the wooden desk, Naruto's eyes peaked out to see Kakashi writing down on the board, while explaining about the happenings of the chapter. He sat up and stared at his notebook, a jumble mess of sentences written across the lines.

'Fuck it. I was never really good at lit anyway.' The blonde thought. He turned to the back of his notebook and began doodling across it, his imagination going wild with small images and scenes his mind captured. His pen swept across the page, connecting lines and creating some abstract image. The blonde was too preoccupied at his task to notice that Kakashi was looking at him. 

'Hmm... Naruto's not paying attention again.' 

Kakashi internally shrugged and decided not to say anything, knowing it would cast a spotlight on the boy.

The lesson dragged on with Kakashi going on about themes and it's relation to the story and nearly half of the class zoned out. The blonde was still entranced with his doodling, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration. After a few minutes, the bell rang and the scraping of chairs filled the room. Kakashi shouted over the noise, telling everyone about the homework they had to do. 

Hearing the sudden noise, Naruto's head perked up. Seeing everyone was getting out of their seats, he slowly got up and packed, waiting for everyone to exit before he did. Basically the usual thing he does.  Unknown to his knowledge, his every movement was being watched by the silver-haired teacher. Once everyone was gone, Naruto pushed in his chair and went to the door before Kakashi's voice stopped him. 

"Hey Naruto. Can I talk to you for a minute." He asked, smiling a bit. Naruto turned to him, his face showing bewilderment. 

'Ehh. This feels like deja vu.' Naruto thought as he walked towards his teacher. Looking up at the masked man, he gave a small smile and waited for his to talk. 

"You know, Sarutobi-sensei told me what happened, with your dad." Kakashi said slowly, trying to ease in the conversation. 

Naruto nodded. Sarutobi-sensei had told him the day he came back to school. Kakashi looked sadly at the boy, knowing this was a sensitive subject to talk about. 

"You know, you can come and tell me if anything happens right? Even in school." The man asked. Naruto nodded again and smiled brightly. 

"Yeah Kakashi-sensei! Thank you..." Naruto's voice was filled with gratitude as he looked at his teacher, his smile reaching his eyes. A smile was sent in return before Kakashi began to talk. 

"I can do something about Kiba and stop him from harassing you." Kakashi stated, implying that he could go inform Sarutobi.

Naruto's eyes widened and he immediately shook 'no'. 

"He'll obviously know it's me and come after me. I'll just avoid him as much as I can." Naruto said. Kakashi hummed in approval. 

"Okay then. So other than that, how is school treating you?" The man asked, trying to lift up the mood. 

"It's better than before. I even have a friend." Naruto said happily, his eyes bright with joy and Kakashi couldn't help but laugh. 

"Oh really? Who is it?" He asked curiously. 

"Um... I don't really want people to know but I guess I can tell you right?" Naruto asked doubtfully. Kakashi looked down in confusion but nodded. 

Naruto breathed in... 

"It's Gaara." 

'Gaara!' Kakashi's eye widened in shock. His ears perked up on a sound coming outside the door. Looking at Naruto, he noticed that Naruto didn't realise it. He smiled unsurely and resumed to talk to the blonde, his mind still thinking about who could have been listening. 

'Gaara...'

A small smirk appeared on the boy's as he heard the red-head's name coming out of the blonde's mouth. Gripping his bag more tightly onto his shoulder, he walked softly a distance away from the door before walking normally. Once he was outside the school, he leant on the wall, thinking. The sound of Naruto's voice resonated through his mind and the new discovery he found. 

'This is going to be interesting.' He thought as he picked himself off the wall and walked in the direction of his car. 

'Very interesting.'

So... this is my pathetic attempt at suspense. 

Whelp! Hope you enjoy!