Chapter 10 - the Prediction of the Oracle

I wake up in a soft bed. I can't recognize the place. I look around. In a chair beside me sits Caleb. "Hi Flame." He smiles. "Wh-what happened?" I ask. "After we came out from the Empire State Building you were missing. So we waited and then you came out running, saying something about some men and Kira, and something about black eyes..."

He looks a bit confused. "And then you blacked out. Thalia needed to almost pull Fire from you." He smiles a little. I'm confused and try to remember what I was saying last night. Black eyes...? Suddenly I remember. "Caleb! Hurry! Get Chiron and Thalia in here! I need to tell you something!!"

10 minutes later we all sit in the infirmary (the room I woke up in); Caleb and Thalia sits in the bed besides mine, Chiron in his magical wheelchair. Chiron also brought some food with to me, because I haven't eaten for hours. I begin my story.

"Okay, it all started about two weeks ago at school. Caleb and I had just saved Fire's egg that weekend. I sat alone in class when one of the girls, Kira, came over to me and pulled me up. She was really aggressive because she has a crush on Caleb..." I won't look at him while I talk.

"... I got angry too and scared her a bit. Of course without showing any magic. After class she just sat and stared out in the air with a thin black membrane over her eyes. I didn't think much about it. And then we came to New York. The taxi chauffeur had the same eyes as Kira. And one of the guys on the train had the same eyes. And the guy in the lobby in Empire State Building."

I finish. No one is moving. Finally Chiron talks. "This isn't looking good." "What is it with the humans I saw?" I ask. "I think we need some advice from the oracle." Is the only thing he says. Thalia nods. "You mean- I need to talk to the mummy on your attic." I sigh. "No. Lucky for you we’ve got a new oracle. She’s in L.A. on holiday right now but you can call her. We have a special way to do that.”

I stand by the bottom of the stairs to the attic. "Isn't there another way to do this?" Caleb asks. "Can't I go with her?" "No, only one person can be on the attic when the oracle shall answer." Chiron says. I'm glad that Caleb can't come with. I don't want him to hear the oracles voice. Her voice gets so scary when she says a prediction.

I walk up the stairs. I throw a quick look back at Caleb before walking inside the attic. It's dark and cold in here and the smell is to throw up off. I walk to the other end of the room, nearing the statue… I walk down the stairs with a weird feeling in my stomach. The words from the oracle keep swirling in my mind.

The Hunters in black you must call,

Or else the world will fall.

The darkness is sinking over the world

And only one person can say the word.

The demons are running free and wild.

The only one who can stop them is the child.

Caleb hurries over and hugs me. I don't really notice. "Flame? What did she say?" Chiron asks from behind Caleb. "She... She... She told me something about the Hunters in black..." I say. "How was the poem?" "The Hunters in black you must call, or else the world will fall. The darkness is sinking over the world and only one person can say the word. The demons are running free and wild. The only one who can stop them is the child." I say slowly almost mechanical.

"This isn't good." Chiron says. "Let's start from the beginning." Caleb says. "Who are the hunters in black?" "It's the Shadowhunters." I tell him. "They hunt demons and black is their hunting color. There were also some in Charn." "Ok, so we must call these Shadowhunters, or else the world will fall. Which word is it only one person can say?" "I have no idea." Chiron says. "And the child?" "It could be everyone. From a gods point of view everyone else is a child."

We sit in the Zeus cabin. I sit beside Caleb in his bed while Thalia walks around in circles. "Thalia, please stop! It drives me crazy!" Caleb suddenly exclaim. She looks at him for a second, and then sits down beside me. “I just can’t figure out who this person is, who can kill all demons in the world with only one word!” She shakes her head. I know I know something about some magic, which is very powerful and doesn’t have to be with many words. It just won’t come to my mind! 

We sit in silence for another 10 minutes, all in our own thoughts. Suddenly I remember. “The Elves! The Elves can use on-word magic!” “Which elves? One-word magic?” Thalia looks just as confused as Caleb. “The elves from Alagaësia! They were the one who first made the pact with the dragons and made the Dragon Riders!

They use a language called the Ancient Language. On this language you can just add some magic to the word and it will happen. For example, fire on the Ancient Language is called brisingr. See what happen when you add magic.” I hold my hand up I front of me and concentrate some magic into my hand. Then I whisper: “brisingr.” A little flame dances in my hand. 

Thalia looks skeptic on the flame. “Can’t you do that without the weird language?” “Yes… But-“ “Try with another spell. I don’t believe that a language can do that.” I pull my shoulders. “Alright.” Which other spell do I remember? Oh, yes! Water! “I remember the word for water. Would that be alright?” I ask Thalia. “Yes. You’re a fire fairy. You can’t make water.” She agrees. “Okay.” I concentrate some more magic in my hand. 

Adurna.” I say. The flame in my hand frizzles, and a jet of water wriggle around it. “ You see? Because I still uses energy on the flame, it can live in the water.” I explain. I try to hide how glad I am, because a little part of me was afraid that it wouldn’t succeed. But it did! “Alright, alright. You win.” Thalia says. 

Caleb still stares at my water-flame. “Can everyone do that?” He asks with big eyes. “Well, with a lot of practice, yes…” I say slowly. He’s eyes get even bigger. I turn of the flame and the jet of water to save my energy. “So… If we practice, we would all could use that kind of magic?” “Uhm… You need a quite lot energy and big magical powers…” I tell him. “It’s therefor it’s only the elves and a little pack of humans who can use it.” 

“Do you think…– Do you think I could learn it?” He looks up at me with his big, brown eyes. “Yes! You are a Dragon Rider! Of course you can use the Ancient Language!” I tell him. He looks like a goldfish with those big eyes and open mouth. I laugh. “Uhm, Flame?” Thalia asks slowly.

“Yes?” I stop smiling. There is something in her voice that brings me down immediately. “What about me? Can I – Can I learn it?” She looks at her shoes. I’m speechless. “Oh, uhm… Actually, I’m not sure…” I confess. “Can’t you try? You could teach us both it! Then we’ll see if I can!” She looks like a little girl who asks if she can have her present. I nod. “Of course. We’ll start now!”

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

So guys! What do you think so far? Please vote/Comment/share! I hope you'll forgive me for taking so long time... But i've got one week more of school, then it's summerholiday!! Yay!! And i'm not going on vacation, so 1 1/2 month where i just can write!! Maybe i can even finish this story! ;) I hope you guys will like it! I'm thinking of some more action too... And maybe a P.O.V. from some of the other characters?? Please comment if you got some good ideas!! Thanks a lot!

~Clara