Chapter 13 - the Necklace

After Percy ran out to find Annabeth, I continue to the archery range. Down there I find Thalia shooting arrows at the targets together with some of the other demigods. When she sees me she waves at me to come over to her. I look at her target. There were about 10 arrows in bullseye. “I think you need something harder than that target.” I tell her with a smile.

“Yes, but I need to wait until Friday before I can shoot the others.” She grins. “Here, let me help you.” I say and make a spell. The target begins to move. “Wow. Thanks!” Thalia says and starts shooting the moving target. We stand like this until Thalia hits bullseye for the 5th time. Then she turns to me. “Thank you, Flame.” She smiles. “Here I have something to show you.” She takes me by the arm and drags me through the strawberryfield.

When we reach the lake, there is no one else here. Thalia takes something out of one of her pockets. It’s a little, orange silk pouch. “Here, this is for you.” She says and hands it over to me. “You don’t have to give me a present.” I say. “I know.” She grins. “Just open it!” I do as she says.

Inside the pouch, something was shining in the sunlight. I pour it out in my hand. It’s a necklace, formed as a silver dragon, holding a lightning in its mouth. The eye is a blood-red ruby. “The lightning and wings are made of celestial bronze.” Thalia says. “If you press the ruby, spikes comes out from the sides so it can be used as weapon.”

“Thalia, I don’t know what to say! This is so beautiful!” I say and hug her. She gets a little surprised over my thankfulness, but she hugs me back after a little time. “Shall I take that as you like it?” She asks me laughing. I laugh too. “Yes. It’s just because… I’ve never really had a present before…” I say.

“Never?” She looks sad for me. “Maybe I’ve got a drawing from my friend who died in Charn, but not a present like this…” Thalia hugs me. “I’m very glad for it.” I say. She nods. “I got help from some from the Hephaestus cabin. They are really good at making things. Try to press the ruby!” She says.

I look down on the necklace. It’s about 1 inch in diameter. I press the ruby and 10 bronze spikes come out from the sides of the necklace. “This is awesome!” I grin to Thalia. “I know! Accessorize and weapon in one!” “And a place to save up energy.” I add. “How?” “You can save energy in every crystal. The best is diamond. It’s therefor I’ve got this.” I say and point on my other necklace, a 1,5 inch big diamond from Alagaësia, my dad had with home after a trip with his friends.

“In this I’ve got energy from I was 3 years old.” I tell Thalia. “Nice! Then it’s even more practical!” We begin to walk back through the strawberryfield. We find Caleb training with one of the guys from Hermes, Chris, I think. Caleb is doing really well. He gives Chris fight to the edge, but Chris is still better. After a couple of minutes more Chris slams the sword out of Caleb’s hand. They are both full of sweat. I wave to Caleb and he comes over after picking a towel. “Nice job!” I say to him. “Thanks.” He says.

We walk down to the Zeus cabin. We sit together in Caleb’s bed. We talk a bit. We kiss. I forget about all my problems for a time. It’s just Caleb and me. Suddenly we hear the dinner clock ring. Thalia comes in and pulls us with up to the dinner. Fire sits at the end of our table and waits for us to arrive. She’s now the size of the pegasuses in the stables. Fire gets a whole pig to eat. While eating we talk about the Shadowhunters. Chiron also comes over to discus it. We agree that we’ll call the New York Institute next day. Then we go to our rooms to get some sleep.