Chapter 6: Forgive Me

That day had gone by quickly, after Anju's appearance for council. The setting sun was barely visible under the dark clouds that loomed over, which were normal for spring, as was the light drizzle outside. Anju was aware of none of this. For the past few hours since she had gone to sleep, none were able to reach her and inform her of those departing for battle, though that didn't stop Izuna and Hisen from trying.

But, their efforts were in vain. She would not wake no matter what they did and her fever would no reduce as it previously had done. All Hisen and his family could do was watch as she slowly deteriorated into nothing. They sat around her, saying their goodbyes in silence as the smell of cinnamon filled the room. The source of the smell was contributed by a burner hanging a few feet away.

One by one, the four family members stood and left, putting their sticks out as they did so. Soon, all were gone from the room, with the smell of cinnamon hanging in the air. Eiko headed home with her little sister Hakuoh, her head hanging low as she processed that she would lose her other little sister. She had never been close with Anju, as Anju was always around Izuna and Eiko had been busy making a name for herself in the Uchiha clan, but her courtship with Kizuna stopped that. Things changed when two people entered into a courtship, no matter what.

It wasn't until an hour later, after the sun had disappeared, that Tajima arrived at Anju's home with a detachment of men. It had not been his idea to do this, but the men and their respect for the young woman. In groups of two or three, the men entered her home and went to her room to mediate around her and say their final goodbyes. Hiroshi was deeply touched by the actions they showed, and all of their own accord.

Then, the detachment came to its ends. Only a few remained, and of the few were Izuna, Madara, and Tajima. The younger brother took a deep breath and entered the room. It was a good ten minutes before he exited, and his distress was evident. Never had any of them seen someone so heartbroken, not since Hiroshi and Tajima lost their wives to war.

Although Tajima wanted to go first, for he had much to say to the young girl before they departed, he was stunned as his eldest son went forward into the room and slid the door shut behind him. He had reached out to protest, but Madara was already gone. The rest of the people in the room were in the same condition as Tajima.

The man inside knew how they felt, and knew he was making a few outside nervous. He, the one who absolutely despised this young woman, actually wanted to say goodbye. Madara didn't know why, but he did not want to be the last to visit her. Maybe it was the look in Izuna's eyes, and how much his little brother loved this young woman, or maybe, just maybe, he would miss her.

It was a thought as he folded his legs and sat down next to her. She looked no different than this morning, but her distress was obvious. Her skin was clammy with a light sheen of sweat and her breathing labored, letting all know that she was not well.

Madara had a look around the room, and it seemed for each man that had been in here, a candle was lit in her honor. It was obvious to him, in that moment, how much Anju really meant to all in the clan. The men were not suggested to do this nor forced to – they did this on their own accord. It was touching. She had greater influence than her elder sister, Eiko, which was really saying something.

Like others had before him, Madara took out an incense stick, lit it, and placed it in a hanging bowl as the it filled the room with a flowery aroma. It was not too strong, nor was it barely noticeable, but it was a very sweet smell. He closed his eyes and placed a hand over hers as he mediated, trying to form his thoughts into words, but it was difficult. He looked around the room, trying to find something to focus on. That's when he caught sight of a variety of gifts in the corner – simple yukata's, swords, shinobi apparel, and other things he could not really identify.