Chapter 33: Izuna's Lament Part I

That morning, Anju awoke first to find Madara standing in front of her mirror in his black pants brushing his hair. She held the sheet around herself and came behind him, gently taking the brush from his hand and brushing through his hair ever so softly. She would meet his gaze in the mirror and smile at him. He would do the same and chuckle faintly.

When finished, he turned around and put her on his lap. She was around his waist and smiling. Madara cupped her face and kissed her gently. "I had a wonderful evening, Anju." His kisses made it clear he wanted something more that morning, and Anju conceded after gentle coaxing. How could she say no to him? It's not like she didn't want to, so she did. She pushed herself up against him and they fell onto the bed, both of them laughing as she straddled his waist.

ooo

"I will see you at the festivities." Madara gave her a quick kiss and pulled his shirt on. She grabbed him and kissed his cheek and he ran out. She chuckled at his morning clumsiness as he rushed out, nearly knocking over a large decorative vase in her room. She sat there for a moment, thinking of the night and this morning, and found she had no regrets about giving herself to Madara. In fact, she had never been happier.

Tajima's party came faster than both of them would have thought. For it, they got ready separately after their morning affairs. Madara was in his chambers with his brother, watching him out of the corner of his eye as he picked the right shirt – although they were all the same – to look nice for Anju. All Madara could think about how much he was going to break his brothers heart. Madara love Anju, he truly did, but his brother was going to be devastated and he didn't know what he would do. His affections for Anju had become easier to admit.

Anju was with her sisters and brother, helping them get dressed and brushing hair. Hisen's hair had gotten longer, to the point where he had tied a braid on either side of his face, framing it, while the rest of his dark hair lay past his shoulders. He looked older, but not in a bad way. Her little brother was growing up.

"Where did you get that outfit, Anju?"

Anju wore a maroon yukata that covered her neck and had a cherty pattern. It had once been a gift from Izuna. "It was a gift, from Izuna."

Hakuoh spoke up. "I can't believe he would give such a nice thing to you. And then you dumped him... at least now he's a free card."

Anju tugged hard on Hakuoh's hair, making her yelp. "It was a gift, now shut your trap."

Hakuoh, jealous and angry, took her hair and stomped away. Eiko and Anju shook their heads, but Eiko sat behind Anju and began to brush her long hair. "You've always had such beautiful hair."

Anju smiled and turned to look at Eiko. "Actually, I wanted to talk to you about my hair."

ooo

Parties like this always started in the early afternoon and went on into the evening hours. Each started with a series of battles. There would be matches all day leading up to the party, where they would crown a winner.

The reason for this event? Tajima was to fight his last battle the day after, surely confirming his death. It was a last hurrah for him, and the clan was happy to celebrate. It needed this.

Anju stood at the front, watching as two of the men engaged each other with swords. She could feel people looking at her as she watched on.

The true matches began when Tajima appeared and took a seat at the front. Izuna sat to his left, but Madara was nowhere to be seen. Izuna stared at her in awe but she looked away, not wanting his attention.

"How's the match?"

Anju smiled and turned to look at Madara, who then froze and stared at her. "You changed your hair." Madara shook his head and then returned to the match, trying to not look so suspicious, but he couldn't help but stare. Her once thigh long hair was now mid-back length, the top layer of hair was drawn back into a braid and another braid behind her left ear. She looked stunning. Combined with the crimson yukata with a cherry blossom pattern, she looked absolutely amazing.